WINTER PARK, Fla. (April 13, 2017) – The Tars and Fighting Knights tangled in a pair of competitive matches, opening their three game series with a doubleheader split. Lynn took game one 5-3, in eight innings, while the Tars rebounded to win game two 6-5 on a walk-off grand slam by Amanda Guglietta. With the split Rollins moves to 25-21 overall and 7-10 in the Sunshine State Conference. Lynn now sits at 24-17 overall, and 10-7 in conference play.
Rollins was dependent on the long ball for their points in the two contests. All three of the Tars game one runs came courtesy of a Chandler Middlebrook shot. Middlebrook sent another ball over the fence, her fourth of the season, in game two, scoring Rollins’ second run of the game. Guglietta then accounted for four runs with her game winning grand slam to straight away center field.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Hailee Keisling and Sarah Harrison both got on base to leadoff the bottom of the first for the Tars, bringing up Chandler Middlebrook. The junior lifted the ball over the wall, just past the outstretched glove of the Lynn centerfielder, making the score 3-0.
· The Fighting Knights started to chip away in the next frame, using a trio of singles to make the score 3-1 after two innings.
· Lynn would equalize in the fifth, again scoring with a procession of singles driving home a pair of runs.
· The game was still locked at 3-3 after seven, but Lynn struck first in the bonus frames. Karolina Flores and Leanne Wright starting the inning with back-to-back home runs, giving Lynn their first lead at 5-3.
· The Tars got two runners on the the bottom of the eighth, but could not capitalize on the threat.
· The Tars again got on the board first. Hailee Keisling singles up the middle, and scored on a bunt single by Sarah Harrison.
· Lynn equalized in the second, then pulled ahead with a pair of runs in the third. The Fighting Knights chased Rollins’ starter Amanda Guglietta after 2.2 innings, Sarah Piening came on in relief, registering the final out of the frame.
· Lynn extended their lead in the top of the fifth, but Chandler Middlebrook kept the Fighting Knights in striking distance, sending a moon shot over the left field wall.
· Lynn again tried to pull away in the sixth. The Fighting Knights managed to get one run across, but the Tars also gunned down a pair of runners at home in the inning.
· Keisling was the first Tar in the seventh, reaching on a one out single. Middlebrook and Brianne Lint walked with two outs to load the bases for the freshman Guglietta. The Miami native quickly got two strikes before fouling off pitches to stay alive. She then got a pitch she liked driving the ball over the wall in centerfield, giving the Tars a 6-5 win.
· Chandler Middlebrook (3B) – 3-4, HR, 3 RBI, 1 Run
· Karolina Flores (SS) – 2-4, HR, 2 RBI, 1 Run
· Grace Street – L, CG, 5 Runs, 3 SO
· Francais Olexa – W, CG, 3 Runs, 2 Earned Runs, 2 SO
· Amanda Guglietta’s walk-off grand slam was her first homerun as a Tar
· This was the Tars fourth walk-off victory of the season.
· Rollins is now 48-17 all-time when facing off with the Lynn Fighting Knights.
· Chandler Middlebrook has 12 hits in 11 games in the blue and gold; four of those 12 hits are homeruns.
· Rollins stretched their conference leading totals, now Rollins has tallied 30 homeruns and 26 double plays
· Hailee Keisling is just six hits away moving into third all-time on the Rollins hit list.
· Michelle Frew is now 766-322-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins and Lynn will conclude their three game set with a Friday afternoon matinee. The Tars and Fighting Knights will take the field field tomorrow, April 14, at 3 p.m.