LAKELAND, Fla. (April 21, 2012) - Rollins took a shot at unbeaten Barry Saturday in the Florida Blue Sunshine State Conference Tournament semifinals, but came up short, 5-0.
The 12th-ranked Tars (12-10) drop to the third place match against 15th-ranked Saint Leo. The competition was slated to take place Saturday evening, but rain has pushed it to Sunday at 1:30 p.m. Barry (21-0) advances to play Lynn in the championship match Sunday. Barry is serving as host at the Beerman Tennis Complex in Lakeland.
In doubles play, Rollins was knocking on the door of a point but couldn't close out the match as Elissa DeCampali and Callie Whitlock fell to Caroline Wendling 9-8(2) in the No. 3 match.
Kayli Ragsdale and Lisa Loft fell to Mona Mansour and Cristina Valladares 8-3 in the No. 1 match while Ashley Rosenberg and Mariana Salvador dropped an 8-1 decision to Olivia Matuszak and Julie Stas in the No. 2 match.
The Bucs then went on to pick up the win in singles. In the No. 4 match, Whitlock lost to 38th-ranked Matuszak 6-1, 6-0 and DeCampli fell to Wendling 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5.
Rollins vs Barry
4/21/12 at Lakeland, FL
(Beerman Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 5, #12 Rollins 0
1. #14 Cristina Valladares (BUW) vs. #46 Lisa Loft (RC) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
2. #15 Linda Fritschken (BUW) vs. Ashley Rosenberg (RC) 6-3, unfinished
3. Julie Stas (BUW) vs. Mariana Salvador (RC) 6-1, unfinished
4. #38 Olivia Matuszak (BUW) def. Callie Whitlock (RC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Caroline Wendling (BUW) def. Elissa DeCampli (RC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Sarah Krohnen (BUW) vs. Kayli Ragsdale (RC) unfinished
1. Mona Mansour/Cristina Valladares (BUW) def. Kayli Ragsdale/Lisa Loft (RC) 8-3
2. Olivia Matuszak/Julie Stas (BUW) def. Ashley Rosenberg/Mariana Salvador (RC) 8-1
3. Caroline Wendling/Linda Fritschken (BUW) def. Elissa DeCampli/Callie Whitlock (RC) 9-8 (7-2)
Rollins 12-10; National ranking #12; Regional ranking #4
Barry 21-0; National ranking #2; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,4)
Florida Blue SSC Championships semifinals
Match continued from 4-20-12