TAMPA, Fla. (May 11, 2017) – The Tars were able to take an early lead over the No. 5 Tampa, but couldn't hold on as UT was able to comeback and hand Rollins a 9-4 loss.
Senior Christopher Corbett led the Tars, (27-21, 9-13 SSC) hitting 2-2 on the night. The Stokesdale, N.C. native managed to hit a single, double, and drove in a RBI. Nick Breen batted 2-4, and chipped in a double to help the Tars, and eventually score. Sam LaFontaine went 1-4 from the plate, and tallied two RBI.
Kevin Santa and J.D. Osborne led the way for the Spartans (35-12, 18-4 SSC) offensively. Santa filled up the stat sheet going 3-4 with a double, a home run, and an RBI. SSC RBI leader Osborne added to his total with a home run and three RBI on the evening.
The Tars bullpen saw three different pitchers make an appearance on the mound. Garrett Leonard got the start pitching 2.2 innings, allowing three hits and two earned runs with four strikeouts. Freshman AJ Chacon came in and threw 3.1 innings for the Tars, and was hit with the loss, only his third on the year. Joey Vecchione came in to finish the last two innings of the game for the Tars, scattering five hits, allowing three runs, and recording a strikeout.
For the Spartans, Jordan Leasure got the nod for the start. Leasure threw five innings, giving up seven hits and three runs, but also recorded five strikeouts. Cody Martin came on and gave the Spartans a lift from the mound, picking up the win, his third of the year. Garrett Cave was credited with the save for the Spartans, his fourth, which is second best on the team.
This was a single game between the Tars and Spartans before the Tars and Spartans will meet again on May 12, for doubleheader action set to begin at 12 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED: • It was the Tars who would jump out to an early 2-0 lead over the fifth ranked Spartans, as the two freshman Nick Santucci and Sam LaFontaine combined to bring in two runs in the top of the second inning.
• The Spartans would not stay down for long, as they answered and re-took the lead from the Tars after scoring three runs in the bottom of the third inning. Tampa led 3-2
• This time it was the Tars who would comeback in the top of the fourth to tie the game at three, when LaFontaine brought in Grant Ashline for the single score.
• The scoring would continue in the seventh inning for both teams, as the Tars were able to put up a single run when Corbett doubled to bring Peter Nicoletto home. The Spartans would hit back to back home runs on the Tars to give themselves a 5-4 lead.
• Tampa would add to their lead in the bottom of the seventh, scoring a single run to bring their lead to 6-4.
• The Spartans explode and put up three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to distance themselves from the Tars and earn their 35th victory of the year.
NOTES: • Rollins trails the all-time series against the Spartans, 104-29-1. • Peter Nicoletto is currently on a 12 game hit streak
• Rollins is 7-8 on the road this season
• Neither team committed an error on the night
NEXT: The Tars and the Spartans will meet to play a doubleheader on May 12, 2017, in both team's final regular season game. The first game of the doubleheader will begin at 12pm.
The Fans can follow all the action live on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.