TAMPA, Fla. (May 12, 2017) – Rollins regular season comes to an end after dropping both games of a Sunshine State Conference doubleheader to No. 5 Tampa. The Tars dropped a close first game 3-1, and then eventually ran out of gas in the late innings, and fell to Tampa 9-4 in game two.
Rollins finishes it's season with a record of 27-23, 9-15 in the SSC. Tampa will await the NCAA selection show for postseason play, as they finish with a record of 37-12, 20-4 in the SSC.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Both teams held each other scoreless for the first three and half innings of play
• The Spartans would strike first, putting up a single run in the bottom of the fourth inning to take a 1-0 lead over the Tars.
• The Tars would finally answer back in the top of the eighth inning behind a Nick Breen single that brought Corbett home, making the score, 1-1.
• Tampa fought right back and was able to gain a two-run advantage in the bottom of the eighth inning, to make the score 3-1.
• It was too late as the Tars tried to retake the lead in the top of the ninth, but came up short, and Tampa was victorious, 3-1.
• Rollins and Tampa both wasted no time getting on the scoreboard, Rollins scored off a walk that brought BJ Minarcin home and shortly after Tampa was able to answer and tie the game at 1-1.
• A Corbett solo home run in the top of the third inning would see the Tars take a slight lead over the Spartans, 2-1.
• After the Spartans responded with two runs of their own in the bottom of the third to retake the lead, the Tars put two runs of their own on the board behind another Corbett home run, which also brought in Minarcin, the Tars then led 4-3.
• It would be all Spartans from here on out, as they were able to string a few hits together in the bottom of the fifth to tie it at 4-4 with the Tars.
• The Spartans would put up a combined five runs in the seventh and eighth innings to push in to the lead, and earn the victory 9-4 over the Tars.
Nick Breen (RC): 1-4, one single, RBI
Mike Purcell (RC): 2-3, two singles, one BB
Brian Auerbach (RC): 6 IP, 4 hits, 1 ER, 6 K
Chris Gaffney (UT): 2-2, one HR, RBI
Kevin Santa (UT): 2-4, double
David LeBron (UT): 6 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 8 K
Christopher Corbett (RC): 2-4, 3 RBI
Nick Breen (RC): 1-4, RBI
Brad Case (RC): 6 IP, 3 ER, 9 K
J.D. Osborne (UT): 3-5, double, 3 RBI
Christian Calleja (UT): 3.2 IP, 2 ER, 2 K
• Rollins trails the all-time series against the Spartans, 106-29-1
• Rollins moves to 7-10 on the road this season
• Peter Nicoletto's 12 game hit streak comes to an end
The series versus Tampa will conclude the Tars 2017 season.
For the latest news, updates, and information on Rollins baseball, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.