PENSACOLA, Fla. (April 29, 2012) - Rollins advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division II Tournament Sunday, beating Saint Leo 5-3. The win for the sixth-ranked Tars avenges a loss to the 18th-ranked Lions in the Florida Blue Sunshine State Conference Tournament seven days prior.
Rollins (17-8) will next meet top-ranked West Florida at 4 p.m. on Monday, April 30 in the South Region 1 championship game.
The Tars split the top-two doubles matches to start the day. Saint Leo (16-7) scored first as Malte Christesen and Constantin Sturdza fell to Jacobo Gonzales-Tarrio and Antonnie Raffaelli 8-4 in the No. 2 match. Rollins evened the score in the top flight as 10th-ranked Lucas Jovita and Jason Alabaster completed an 8-4 win over eighth-ranked Matt Nicholson-Lewis and Victor Lozier.
Leo knotted the score at two all when Sturdza lost to Fleischer 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 match. The Tars answered with a win the top flight behind second-ranked Jovita's 6-4, 6-0 victory past 42nd-ranked Adjenak.
In the No. 3 match, 43rd-ranked Christesen lost to 28th-ranked Lozier, but was held up by a 6-3, 6-3 victory in the No. 2 match, sixth-ranked Morris over 33rd-ranked Nicholson-Lewis.
Alabaster scored the deciding win in the No. 6 match, defeating Raffaelli 1-6, 6-3, 6-2.
Fans can follow the Tars against West Florida with live stats at GoArgos.com.
Saint Leo vs Rollins
04/29/12 at Pensacola, FL
(Ralph "Skeeter" Carson Tennis Complex)
#6 Rollins 5, #18 Saint Leo 3
1. #2 Lucas Jovita (RC) def. #42 Alou Adjenak (SLM) 6-4, 6-0
2. #6 Jeff Morris (RC) def. #33 Matt Nicholson-Lewis (SLM) 6-3, 6-3
3. #28 Victor Lozier (SLM) def. #43 Malte Christesen (RC) 6-1, 7-5
4. Ari Davis (RC) vs. Gonzalez-Tarrio (SLM) 7-6, 5-2, unfinished
5. Jake Fleischer (SLM) def. Constantin Sturdza (RC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jason Alabaster (RC) def. Antonine Raffaelli (SLM) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
1. #10 Lucas Jovita/Jason Alabaster (RC) def. #8 Matt Nicholson-Lewis/Victor Lozier (SLM) 8-4
2. Gonzalez-Tarrio/Antonine Raffaelli (SLM) def. Malte Christesen/Constantin Sturdza (RC) 8-4
3. Jeff Morris/Ari Davis (RC) def. Alou Adjenak/Jake Fleischer (SLM) 8-6
Saint Leo 16-7; National ranking #18; Regional ranking #5
Rollins 16-8; National ranking #6; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,1,3,2,6)
NCAA South Regional #1 - Semifinals