PENSACOLA, Fla. (April 30, 2012) - The sixth-ranked Rollins men's tennis team saw its season come to an end Monday, falling 5-1 to second-ranked West Florida in the second round of the NCAA Division II South Region Tournament.
The Tars' season ends with a record of 17-9 while the Argos (25-2) advance to the NCAA Round of 16.
Coming off an emotional win over Saint Leo in the first round Sunday, Rollins ran into a tough start Monday, falling into a 3-0 hole after doubles.
In the top-flight, 10th-ranked Lucas Jovita and Jason Alabaster fell to second-ranked Kevin Ducros and Bruno Savi by a close 8-6 score. Bernardo Barroso and Constantin Sturdza lost to 17th-ranked Leandro Ferreira 8-3 at No. 2 while Ari Davis and Jeff Morris dropped an 8-3 decision to Mike Lue and Domenico Sano at No. 3.
The Tars tallied the first point of singles play as second-ranked Jovita rolled past Ducros 6-0, 6-3 in the top flight.
UWF scored its fourth point in the No. 3 match with 43rd-ranked Christesen falling to 21st-ranked Andrey Pozhidaev 6-0, 6-2. The Argos then closed things out at No. 6 with Alabaster seeing a 6-4, 6-4 defeat to Sano.
Rollins vs West Florida
04/30/12 at Pensacola, FL
(Ralph "Skeeter" Carson Tennis Complex)
#2 West Florida 5, #6 Rollins 1
1. #2 Lucas Jovita (RC) def. #9 Kevin Ducros (UWFM) 6-0, 6-3
2. #12 Bruno Savi (UWFM) vs. #6 Jeff Morris (RC) 6-2, 1-4, unfinished
3. #21 Andrey Pozhidaev (UWFM) def. #43 Malte Christesen (RC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Leandro Ferreira (UWFM) vs. Ari Davis (RC) 7-5, 2-1, unfinished
5. Elio Latela (UWFM) vs. Constantin Sturdza (RC) 6-3, 3-0, unfinished
6. Domenico Sano (UWFM) def. Jason Alabaster (RC) 6-3, 6-4
1. #2 Kevin Ducros/Bruno Savi (UWFM) def. #10 Jason Alabaster/Lucas Jovita (RC) 8-6
2. #17 Leandro Ferreira/Andrey Pozhidaev (UWFM) def. Bernado Barroso/Constantin Sturdza (RC) 8-3
3. Mike Lue/Domenico Sano (UWFM) def. Ari Davis/Jeff Morris (RC) 8-3
Rollins 17-9; National ranking #6; Regional ranking #4
West Florida 25-2; National ranking #2; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,6)
NCAA South Regional #1 - Finals