CLEARWATER, Fla. (February 12, 2017) – The Tars closed out their trip to the NFCA Leadoff Classic in style, posting a 4-1 upset win over the 24th ranked California University of Pennsylvania. With the win Rollins moves over the .500 mark on the young season, with a record of 5-4. The Vulcans fall to 2-3 on the year.
California (Pa.) out hit Rollins, and the Tars committed two errors to the Vulcans one. But, Rollins was able to get out of innings without surrendering runs, forcing California to strand 10 runners on the bases.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· California got on the board first when Emily Price sent an RBI single into right field in the top of the fifth.
· The Tars took the lead back in the bottom of the frame. Rachel Minier started the rally with an RBI single that drove in pinch runner Kara Wagstaff. With the bases loaded Brianne Lint walked to score the second run. Finally Chelsea Reed singled, driving in a pair of runs, and giving the Tars a 4-1 lead.
· The Vulcans threatened in the top of the seventh. Getting a pair of runners on base with back-to-back two out singles, but Grace Street got Jacquelyn Fowler to fly out to second base to secure the win for Rollins.
· This was the Tars first ever matchup against the Vulcans, Rollins now leads the series 1-0
· This was the Tars fourth ranked opponent of the year, Rollins is 2-2 in those contests.
· Head coach Michelle Frew is now just three wins away from 750 in her Rollins carrer, as she sits at 747-305-1.
The Tars will return to Winter Park for their 2017 home opener on Friday, February 17. Rollins will host SSC foe Tampa for a three game series at Martin Luther King Jr. Park, first pitch of game one is scheduled for 6 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.