WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 3, 2017) – The Tars opened Sunshine State Conference play Friday night against Eckerd with a 5-3 loss. With the loss, Rollins falls to 13-5 on the season and 0-1 in SSC play. The Tritons move to 7-12 on the 2017 season and 1-3 in the conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· After a scoreless two innings, Eckerd took a one run lead in the top of the third off of three singles in a row.
· Eckerd tied the game at three runs apiece in the next half inning, with a pair of singles and taking advantage of a Tars wild pitch.
· The Tritons regained the lead in the eighth, scoring an unearned run on a Steven Salisbury single.
· In the ninth inning Eckerd played small ball to move Garrett Hiott around the bases, to gain an insurance run as they extended their lead to 5-3.
· Mike Purcell (RC): 2-3, R, 2 BB
· Whit Drennan (RC): 2.1 IP, L, 4 K
· Tom Buonopane (EC): 2-4, RBI
· Dillon McCullough (EC): 6.1 IP, W, 3 R, 7 K
· With his two-hit performance, Mike Purcell improves his hit streak to six games, going back to the start of Baseball Week on March 4.
· Brad Case leads the Sunshine State Conference with 39 total innings pitch and carries a 2.08 ERA
· After Friday night’s loss to Eckerd, Rollins still leads all-time 87-65-1
The Tars continue SSC play against Eckerd with a double header on Saturday, March 11. First pitch is scheduled for noon. For the latest news, updates, and information on Rollins baseball, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.