WINTER PARK, Fla. (April 14, 2017) – Rollins rebounded after a slow start, riding on the back of Grace Street, as the Tars earned a 13-5, six inning win over Lynn. With the victory Rollins takes the season series two games to one. The Tars improve to 26-21 on the year, and 8-10 in Sunshine State Conference play. Lynn drops to 24-18, and 10-8 in SSC action.
Street started in the circle and tallied eight RBI to lead the Tars to victory. Four of the sophomore’s RBI came on one swing, as she blasted the Tars second grand slam of the series. Chandler Middlebrook hit her third homerun of the series as well to help spur on Rollins.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Lynn opened up a 4-0 lead in the top of third. The Fighting Knights were aided by a trio of Rollins errors.
· Chandler Middlebrook opened the fourth inning with a walk. Chelsea Reed then doubled, and Rachel Minier alertly advanced to first base on a dropped third strike, loading the bases for Grace Street. The Tars pitcher drove a shot over the Left field wall, evening the score.
· Lynn would pull back in front in the next frame, sending a run home on a double by Shayle Arenson. The Tars answered back in a big way, sending 12 batters to the plate in the bottom of the inning. A Middle brook homer and a two RBI double by Street highlighted the Tars six run fifth.
· The Tars bats stayed hot in the sixth pushing across three runs to end the contest. Appropriately, Street scored the clinching run, crossing the plate on a Kacie Booth single.
· Coming into this series Lynn pitching had allowed four homeruns on the year. Rollins hit five in three games
· This marks the first this season that Lynn has been run-ruled.
· The Rollins senior class combined for five runs in their final game at Martin Luther King, Jr. Park.
· Chelsea Reed moved into a tie for sixth on the all-time runs scored list, and now needs just six more hits to move into eighth in the Rollins record book.
· Rollins is now 49-17 all-time against Lynn.
· Michelle Frew moves to 767-322-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars will travel south to take on the Barry Buccaneers in Miami Shores. Game one of the three game series is scheduled to begin on Friday, April 21, at 6 p.m.