WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 17, 2017) – The Tars staged an epic comeback to defeat the Tampa Spartans in their Sunshine State Conference opener Friday evening. Chelsea Reed hit a two RBI single up the middle to give the Tars the walk-off win.
With the victory the Tars move to 6-4 on the year and 1-0 in SSC action. Tampa falls to 6-2 on the young season and 0-1 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Tampa jumped out to the early lead, scoring a run in the top of the first inning. After crossing the plate once the Spartans loaded the bases, but Grace Street managed two quick outs to escape the frame.
· Street got out of another bases loaded jam in the fourth, forcing Taylor Farre to pop out to center field.
· The Spartans managed a three spot in the top of the fifth. Sarah Piening came in for the Tars half way through the inning, and forced Jennie Sittloh to groundout into a double play to end the frame.
· Brianne Lint hit her third homerun of the year to give the Tars a much needed spark in the top of the sixth.
· Tampa looked to blow the game open in the top of the seventh but Piening and the Tars escaped another bases loaded situation.
· Kacie Booth started Rollins rally in the seventh, reaching on a single to first base. Then, with two outs, Tampa walked the bases loaded. Abigail Sexton drove in the Tars' first run with a single up the middle. Lint picked up her second RBI of the game when she walked in a run, making in 4-3. Chelsea Reed proved to be the hero, when she drove a two strike pitch back up the middle, scoring Sexton and Rachel Minier to give the Tars the walk-off win.
· Brianne Lint (DP) – 1-3, HR, 2 RBI, 1 Run
· Makaleigh Dooley (1B/P) – 2-4, 1 Run, 1 RBI
· Kacie Booth (SS) – 2-3, 1 Run
· Sarah Piening – W, 3.0 IP, 0 Runs
· Corynn Miner – L, 6.2 IP, 5 Runs, 6 SO
· The Spartans left the bases loaded three times. Overall Tampa left 11 runners on base to the Tars 7.
· The Tars drew six walks in the contest, including three during the comeback in the bottom of the seventh.
· These to teams will faceoff in a double header tomorrow to decide the series; the winner of this series has won at least a share of the SSC Championship in six of the last eight seasons.
· With three homeruns on the year Brianne Lint now sits atop the conference, she is also tied for third with 10 RBI.
· Head Coach Michelle Frew is now 748-305-1, in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars and the Spartans conclude their series with a double header tomorrow. First pitch has been moved to 11 a.m. at Martin Luther King Jr. Park.