WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 18, 2017) – The Tars dropped a pair to Tampa Saturday, giving the Spartans the series win over the Tars. Tampa pulled away late in a slugfest to take game one, and used stellar pitching to stymie the Rollins offense in game two.
With the losses the Tars fall back to .500 on the year, with a record of 6-6, and 1-2 in Sunshine State Conference action. Tampa moves to 8-2 on the year and 2-1 in conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Of the game’s 14 total runs, 12 crossed the plate courtesy of the long ball.
· The Tars took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second, coming on a Kacie Booth homerun, the shortstop’s second of the season.
· Tampa responded in the next frame when Corynn Miner lofted a grand slam for the Spartans, making the score 4-2.
· Abigail Sexton leveled the score in the fifth, driving home Hailee Keisling with a homerun to right center field.
· Tampa pulled back in front in the sixth with a pair of deep balls. Jennie Sittloh hit a three run pinch hit homer, which proved to be the game winner. Leadoff hitter Sahrina Cortes added one more insurance run in the frame with a homerun of her own, making it 8-4.
· The Spartans manufactured a pair in the top of the seventh to ice the game away.
· Tampa exploded for six runs in the first inning, chasing starter Sarah Piening after just one out. Erin Crawford entered the game for Rollins, but ultimately the Spartans sent 11 players to the plate in the inning and came out with a 6-0 lead.
· Hailee Keisling crossed the plate in the bottom of the frame, scoring on a Abigail Seton groundout, to make the score 6-1.
· Crawford made the most of her collegiate debut, after getting the Tars out of the first inning jam she only allowed Tampa to scatter five more hits for the remainder of the contest.
· The only run not tallied in the first was manufactured by Tampa in the sixth.
· The Tars looked to comeback, loading the bases with one out in the seventh, but Corynn Miner induced a pair of fly outs to seal the contest for the Spartans.
· Kacie Booth (SS) – 2-3, HR, 2 RBI, 1 Run
· Corynn Miner (1B) – 1-3, HR, 4 RBI, 1 Run
· Sarah Piening – 5.0 IP, 4 Runs
· Makaleigh Dooley – W, 7.0 IP, 4 Runs, 3 Earned Runs, 4 SO
· The Tars turned four double plays in the field during game one, setting a new program record for double plays in a single game.
· Abigail Sexton’s game one home run was her first as a Tar.
· After today’s aerial display Rollins and Tampa are tied atop the SSC with seven homeruns on the year.
· Head Coach Michelle Frew is now 748-307-1, in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will return to the field next Friday, February 24, when they travel to Palm Beach Atlantic for a three game series. First pitch is scheduled for 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.