WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 26, 2017) – The Tars take a pair of victories after a double header against Kentucky State on Sunday. Rollins had a slow start in game one, but the bats came alive late to run-rule the Thorobrettes in the sixth inning, 9-1. In game two, Tars took the lead early and strong pitching held KSU in check for to give Rollins the win, 4-1.
Rollins improves to 9-8 with the two wins, while Kentucky State falls to 0-10 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Rollins had a slow start at the plate, only scoring one run in the first five frames.
· The first run came off the bat of Rachel Minier, driving in Hailee Minier after she stole second, and advanced to third on an errant throw.
· Sarah Piening held the visitors in check, giving up her lone run in the third inning due to three singles in the frame.
· Starting the Rollins half of the fourth with a bang, Chelsea Reed hit a solo home run over the score board in left center field. Hailee Keisling came up later in the inning with the bases loaded and extended the lead with a 2 RBI single. Tars now led the game 4-1.
· Keisling continued to swing the bat well, this time in the bottom of the sixth, tripling in the first run of the inning.
· Chelsea Reed came to the plate with a 6-1 lead and two runners on base. Reed tripled deep to right center field, scoring both runs, and advanced on an errant throw to the infield, giving the Tars the win by mercy rule.
· Rollins jumped out to an early lead and relied on pitcher Erin Fortney to hold KSU for the win.
· In the first inning, the Thorobrettes’ scored their only run of the game thanks to a sacrifice fly off the bat of Natalia Bocanegra.
· The Tars answered KSU’s early run with a run of their own, taking advantage of a fielding error and a throwing error on the same play to put a runner in scoring position. Brianne Lint drove in the runner with a single to left center.
· The difference in the game came in the second inning, as the Tars scored three runs on two hits. Hailee Keisling came up clutch again, driving in two more runs for a total of five between both games.
· Chelsea Reed (RC): 4-4, 3B, HR, 4 R, 4 RBI
· Hailee Keisling (RC): 3-3, 3B, 2 R, 3 RBI, 2 SB
· Katelyn Drake (KSU): 1-2, RBI
· Sarah Piening (RC): 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 5 K
· Kaija Aikman (KSU): 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, K
· Hailee Keisling (RC): 1-3, 2 RBI
· Grace Street (RC): 2-3, R
· Natalia Bocanegra (KSU): 0-1, SF, RBI
· Erin Fortney (RC): 7.0 IP, 2 H, ER, 7 K
· Courtney Payne (KSU): 6.0 IP, 3 ER, 3 K
· In game one, Chelsea Reed was a double short of hitting for the cycle.
· Erin Fortney held the Thorobrettes to just two hits in her 7 innings in the circle.
Rollins returns to action as they host SSC rival, Florida Southern on Friday, March 3 at Martin Luther King, Jr. Park. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.