WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 18, 2017) – The Tars bats fell flat against No. 14 Saint Leo, as the Tars drop their series opener against the Lions 7-0. Rollins moves to 28-23 on the year, and 10-12 in the Sunshine State Conference. Sain Leo, who currently sit atop the SSC, improve to 36-12 overall, and 16-6 in SSC action.
Rollins, who had tallied at least ten runs in their last four games, were held off the scoreboard for just the fifth time this season. The Tars managed just three hits off NFCA Player of the Year finalist Stephanie Adkins, singles by Chelsea Reed, Kacie Booth, and Hali Marshall.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· The Tars surrendered the first runs of the game in the second inning, with an error coming back to haunt Rollins, as Saint Leo sent a pair of runs across the plate.
· The Lions added another pair of runs in the third, doubleing their advantage to 4-0.
· A leadoff double was the catalyst for a three run fifth by Saint Leo, as the Lions expanded their lead to 7-0.
· Amanda Guglietta gave up just two hits, and no runs, in two innings of relief work. The Tars tallied two hits in the top of the seventh, but it was not enough to get them back in the game.
· With her second inning hit Chelsea Reed reached 195 hits for her career, just five away from becoming the sixth Tar to reach 200.
· Chandler Middlebrook saw her nine game hitting streak come to an end.
· The Tars three hits ties a season low. Rollins only hit safely three times against Wayne State on February 11, and against Florida Tech on March 25.
· Michelle Frew is now 769-323-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program
Rollins will close out their regular season with a doubleheader against at Saint Leo tomorrow, Friday, April 28. The first pitch of game one is set for 6 p.m.