Rollins (13-8) scored the first three points of the match with a sweep in doubles. Jeff Morris and Neil Clausen teamed to down Adrian Escarate and Ricardo Vazquez 8-1 in the top flight match while Girts Dzelde and Constantin Strudza defeated Federico Acevedo and Andrew Rifkin 8-4 in the No. 3 match. At No. 2 doubles, Pablo Seijo and Nick Rowlands were tied 8-8 with Jeremy Bache and Tito Gayoso, but the Tars duo surrendered just one point in the tiebreaker to win 9-8(1).
The Tars went on to seal up the match with straight set wins in each of the singles matches.
In the top-flight match, Morris took Escarate 6-0, 6-4 while 14th-ranked Clausen downed Gayoso 6-2, 6-3. Baravalle was a 6-1, 6-2 winner over Rifkin at No. 3 and Dzelde took Bache 6-2, 6-0 in the No. 4 match. Constantin Sturdza defeated Acevedo 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 5 match while Chris Herbert won the No. 6 match 6-1, 6-3 over Vazquez.
Rollins will finish its home slate with a Sunshine State Conference match against Saint Leo on Tuesday, Apr. 7 at 2:30 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
St. Thomas (FL) vs Rollins
Apr 03, 2010 at Winter Park, Fla.
(Martin Tennis Complex)
#10 Rollins 9, St. Thomas (FL) 0
1. Jeff Morris (RC) def. Adrian Escarate (STU) 6-0, 6-4
2. #14 Neil Clausen (RC) def. Tito Gayoso (STU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Arturo Baravalle (RC) def. Andrew Rifkin (STU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Girts Dzelde (RC) def. Jeremy Bache (STU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Constantin Sturdza (RC) def. Federico Acevedo (STU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Chris Herbert (RC) def. Ricardo Vazquez (STU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Jeff Morris/Neil Clausen (RC) def. Adrian Escarate/Ricardo Vazquez (STU) 8-1
2. Pablo Seijo/Nick Rowlands (RC) def. Jeremy Bache/Tito Gayoso (STU) 9-8 (10-1)
3. Girts Dzelde/Constantin Sturdza (RC) def. Federico Acevedo/Andrew Rifkin (STU) 8-4
Rollins 13-8; National ranking #10
St. Thomas (FL) 9-4