The Tars’ season ends with a record of 17-8 while the Argos advance to play host Barry in the championship match on Saturday.
In doubles play, Rollins struck first as Roshni Luthra and Lisa Loft took the No. 2 match over Taylor Brewster and Jacqueline March 8-2. The Tars grabbed another point in the top-flight match with 18th-ranked Margaret Junker and Kayli Ragsdale downing Luiza Sonnervig and Paulina Ojeda 8-6.
UWF took the No. 3 match as Holly Fleming and Stefania Tkach fell to Barbara Oliveira and Mariana Sonnervig 8-5.
Rollins got off to a slow start in singles, winning just one, first set in the six matches. The Argos tied the score 2-2 as 15th-ranked Fleming fell to 13th-ranked Ojeda 6-2, 6-2. UWF then gained the advantage by taking the next two points with Ragsdale falling to March 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 6 match and Tkach dropping a 6-3, 6-3 decision to Brewster at No. 3.
Junker got Rollins back on track with a win in the No. 4 match, defeating Luiza Sonnervig 6-3, 6-3.
West Florida sealed the win with a win in the top-flight match as 11th-ranked Luthra lost to 25th-ranked Oliveira 7-5, 6-4.
Tennis Match Results
West Florida vs Rollins
May 7, 2010 at North Miami, Fla.
(San Souci Tennis Center)
#8 West Florida 5, #7 Rollins 3
1. #25 Barbara Oliveira (UWF) def. #11 Roshni Luthra (RC) 7-5, 6-4
2. #13 Paulina Ojeda (UWF) def. #15 Holly Fleming (RC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Taylor Brewster (UWF) def. Stefania Tkach (RC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Margaret Junker (RC) def. Luiza Sonnervig (UWF) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lisa Loft (RC) vs. Mariana Sonnervig (UWF) 3-6, 2-3, unfinished
6. Jacqueline March (UWF) def. Kayli Ragsdale (RC) 6-3, 6-4
1. #18 Margaret Junker/Kayli Ragsdale (RC) def. Luiza Sonnervig/Paulina Ojeda (UWF) 8-6
2. Roshni Luthra/Lisa Loft (RC) def. Taylor Brewster/Jacqueline March (UWF) 8-2
3. Barbara Oliveira/Mariana Sonnervig (UWF) def. Holly Fleming/Stefania Tkach (RC) 8-5
West Florida 10-7; National ranking #8
Rollins 17-8; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,6,3,4,1)
Winner advances in the finals against Barry Saturday at 8:30 a.m.