WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 13, 2012) - Rollins picked up a 2-1 lead in doubles and played even the rest of the match as the NCAA Division II eighth-ranked Tars beat NAIA fifth-ranked Auburn-Montgomery 5-4 Tuesday.
The victory is Rollins' (7-4) third straight and seventh in the last eight matches.
As has been the case all season, the Tars were very strong atop the line-up.
Jovita, the top ranked player in Division II, won 6-1, 6-1 over Nicolas Pinones-Haltenhoff while 11th-ranked Morris took 20th-ranked Both 6-4, 6-1. Jason Alabaster also picked up a victory to seal the win for Rollins, winning 6-1, 6-1 at No. 6.
Rollins will be back in action on Wednesday, March 14, hosting Midwestern State. The home date will be the Tars sixth of 12 in Winter Park during the month of March.
Tennis Match Results
Auburn-Montgomery vs Rollins
3/13/2012 at Winter Park, Fla.
(Tiedtke Tennis Courts)
#8 Rollins 5, #5 Auburn-Montgomery 4
1. #1 Lucas Jovita (RC) def. Pinones-Haltenhoff (AUM) 6-1, 6-1
2. #11 Jeff Morris (RC) def. #20 Bence Toth (AUM) 6-4, 6-1
3. Josh Reason (AUM) def. Malte Christesen (RC) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Van Vuuren (AUM) def. Constantin Sturdza (RC) 6-3, 6-3
5. #20 Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) def. Ari Davis (RC) 6-3, 6-0
6. Jason Alabaster (RC) def. Matias Dasso (AUM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Lucas Jovita/Jason Alabaster (RC) def. Josh Reason/Van Vuuren (AUM) 8-2
2. Pinones-Haltenhoff/Zinelabidine Jouini (AUM) def. Sebastian Hafner/Constantin Sturdza (RC) 8-1
3. Jeff Morris/Ari Davis (RC) def. Bence Toth/Matias Dasso (AUM) 8-3
Auburn-Montgomery 7-4; National ranking #5
Rollins 7-4; National ranking #8
Rollins rankings NCAA Division II
Auburn-Montgomery rankings NAIA
Official: Jim Speake