WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 3, 2017) – Friday night the Rollins baseball team started season off with a win over Young Harris College, by a score of 3-2.
Tars starter Brad Case only gave up one earned run in his 5.1 innings on the mound, while striking out three to earn the win. NCBWA Preseason All-South Honorees, Christopher Corbett and Mike Purcell both went 2-4 on the day. Corbett had one double, drove in two RBI and scored a run, while Purcell got on base through two singles and scored a run. Freshman, AJ Chacon, made his first appearance on the mound for the Tars, allowing just one hit in his 2.2 innings of work and striking out four.
Joey Vecchione also made his 2017 debut for Rollins on opening day. The graduate student came in during the top of the 9th inning and made quick work of his opponents, striking out two batters and only needing 12 pitches to earn the save.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Young Harris took an early lead in the top of the first inning thanks to Royce Woolfolk’s lead-off double to right field. Woolfolk advanced to third on a groundout, but then scores on a single by Nick Sexton.
· Rollins answered in the bottom of the first, when catcher Christopher Corbett came up to the plate with two outs and runners on first and second. Corbett laced a line drive past the third baseman and down the line in left field to score both runners, giving the Tars a 2-1 lead.
· Young Harris answered in the top of the sixth. After singling to lead off the inning, Brett Westmoreland, advanced on a fielding error and then a wild pitch by pitcher AJ Chacon, before being driven in by Woolfolk while grounding out to the shortstop.
· Christopher Corbett (RC) – 2-4, 1 Double, 2 RBI, 1 Run
· Royce Woolfolk (YHC) – 1-5, 1 Double, 1 RBI, 1 Run
· Brad Case (RC) – W, 5.1 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER, 3 K
· Joey Vecchione (RC) – SV, 1 IP, 0 hits, 0 ER, 2 K
· Michael Livingston (YHC) – L, 4 IP, 7 hits, 3 ER, 7 K
· Rollins moves to 6-4 all-time against Young Harris
· With tonight’s performance, Brad Case earned his fourth win in a Rollins Tars uniform
· Joey Vecchione earned his second save of his collegiate career, first for the Tars
· Dr. Jon Sjogren moves to 654-581-5 as he starts the 27th year of his career
Rollins continue the series home opener, Saturday, Feb. 4 at 1 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 5 at noon. For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.