WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 2, 2017) – The Tars returned to the field Saturday afternoon, defeating Young Harris 4-1.
Once again, senior captains Mike Purcell and Christopher Corbett had standout days at the plate. Corbett went 2-4 on the day, both singles. Purcell also went 2-4, while driving in an insurance run in the bottom of the fifth. In his first appearance as a Tar, Nick Santucci doubled over the left fielder’s head to drive in the first RBI of his collegiate career.
Strong pitching performances by Rollins held the Mountain Lions to just one run in the game. Brian Auerbach got the start on the rubber, going 5.1 innings, giving up the lone run, and striking out six. Patrick Heuler and Brett Scafidi teamed up in relief to hold Young Harris to just one until the end of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· With runners on first and second, Nick Breen drove in the first run of the game with a single to left field.
· Top of the fifth, Young Harris answered with their own pair of doubles by Royce Woolfolk and Zach Odom. Young Harris still trailed by a score of 2-1.
· Bottom of the fifth, transfer Brian Brooker set the table with a lead-off single. Grant Ashline laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Brooker to second. After a throwing error on Young Harris pitcher McLain Harris, Brooker moved to third and is batted in by Mike Purcell with a single through the left side.
· With Philip Burket on third in the bottom of the sixth inning, Brian Brooker hit a deep fly ball to left field, which allowed the runner to tag up and score on the play, extending the Tars lead to 4-1.
· Mike Purcell (RC) – 2-4, 2 Singles, 1 RBI
· Nick Santucci (RC) – 1-2, 1 Double, 1 RBI
· Royce Woolfolk (YHC) – 2-5, 1 Double, 1 Run
· Zach Odom (YHC) – 2-5, 1 Double, 1 RBI
· Brian Auerbach (RC) – W, 5.1 IP, 1 ER, 6 K
· McLain Harris (YHC) – L, 5.0 IP, 7 Hits, 2 ER
· The Tars improve to 7-4 against Young Harris all-time
· With today’s performance, Auerbach earned his eighth win as a Tar
· The last time Rollins baseball started the season 2-0 was in 2012, the Tars went on to win 28 games
The Tars look to sweep the Young Harris Mountain Lions Sunday, Feb. 5 at noon at Alfond Stadium. For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.