WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 17, 2017) – Despite trailing most of the game, Rollins managed to rally in the last couple innings to earn their first walk-off win of the season. After Saturday’s 4-3 victory over Southern Connecticut State University, the Tars move to 6-2 on the 2017 campaign; a program best start since the 2011 season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Southern Conn Owls took advantage of their strong pitching and took the first lead of the game in the top of the fourth. Tyler Criscuolo and Mike Giordano both notched RBI singles, giving the Owls a 2-0 lead. Southern Conn was able to tack on one more run thanks to a bases loaded walk in the sixth.
The bats were kept quiet for the Tars for most of the game, unable to get on the scoreboard until the bottom of the sixth. Isaiah Russell squared up a ball and sent it sailing down the right field line for a lead off double, and was later hit in by a BJ Minarcin sacrifice fly to right field.
Rollins wasn’t done scoring there, Christopher Corbett tied the game up with one swing of the bat in the bottom of the eighth inning. Corbett hit his third bomb of the year, tis time with one runner on base to tie the game at 3 runs apiece.
AJ Chacon was able to hold the Southern Conn batters hitless in their half of the 9th inning, bringing up the Tars with the opportunity to win the game in the bottom of the inning. Thanks to a pair of walks, and a pair of wild pitches, Brian Brooker was able to score the winning run, making the final score 4-3 in the favor of the Tars.
· Christopher Corbett (RC) – 2-4, R, HR, 2 RBI
· BJ Minarcin (RC) – 2-3, R, 2B, RBI
· AJ Chacon (RC) – Win, 3.2 IP, 2 K
· Tyler Criscuolo (SCSU) – 2-4, R, RBI
· Nate Carney (SCSU) – 7.1 IP, 3 ER, 4 K
· Saturday’s win was Rollins first walk-off win of the 2017 season.
· The Tars and the Owls have only played a game against each other once before, which took place in 1994. Rollins is now 2-0 against Southern Connecticut State.
· After hitting safely in the previous 9 ball games, Mike Purcell ended his hit streak today. Purcell is currently hitting .406 and leads the team in hits with 13.
Rollins looks to end the weekend against Bentley on Sunday, February 19th at Alfond Stadium. First pitch is set for noon. For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.