Tars Drop Series Opener with Bears
The game opened a three-game series between the Tars and Bears. They will meet at 2 p.m. on Saturday, March 25 and Noon on Sunday, March 26.
Nick Breen and Brian Brooker both went 2-5 with an RBI and run scored to lead Rollins (16-10) at the plate. Billy Lamm also had a multi-hit game, going 2-4.
Alex Reynolds led L-R (16-11), hitting 3-5 with two runs scored and an RBI. Josh Kent batted 2-5, also with two runs scored and one RBI.
Brad Case took the loss for the Tars, dropping to 4-3, tossing 6.1 innings and allowing five hits and four runs, but just two earned. Thomas St. Clair improved to 8-1 for Lenoir-Rhyne, throwing 5.2 winnings and scattering six hits with three runs, on earned.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The teams put just three combined baserunners on over the first three innings.
• Reynolds led off the L-R fourth with a single, stole second and eventually scored on a wild pitch. David Newcomer put the Bears up 2-0, scoring on a passed ball later in the frame.
• Two more Bears runs came in the fifth with Justin Dean reaching on a lead-off error and scoring on a Kent double. He later scored on a Reynolds double to put the Tars in a 4-0 hole.
• Rollins got on the board in the fifth with an Isaiah Russell sac fly scoring Sam LaFontaine, who got on base with a single.
• Nick Breen led off the Tars sixth with a double and scored on a Brooker double. After a passed ball and walk to Nick Santucci, Grant Ashline laid down a perfect sac bunt to score Brooker and put the Tars to within one, 4-3.
• The seventh proved to be the Tars demise as L-R plated three on three hits and extended its advantage to 8-3.
• Rollins added a run in its half of the seventh after Russell walked and advanced to third on a failed pick off attempt. He later scored off a Breen single.
• Friday was the first-ever meeting between Lenoir-Rhyne and Rollins on the diamond.
• Rollins drops to 15-9 at home this season.
• Rollins is now 3-4 in the opening game of a three-game weekend series.
• Brooker leads the Tars in hitting, carrying a .370 average.
The Tars and Bears will meet again on Saturday, March 25 at 2 p.m. in Alfond Stadium before closing the series Sunday, March 26 at Noon. Fans can follow all the action live on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.