Tars Even Series with Bears
BJ Minarcin and Mike Purcell both went 2-5 on the day. Minarcin had an RBI and two runs scored to lead Rollins (17-10) at the plate. Peter Nicoletto also had a multi-hit game, going 2-4.
DH Zach Jacobs led L-R (17-12), hitting 2-3 with one run scored. Justin Dean batted 1-4, also two RBIs.
AJ Chacon picked up the win for the Tars, improving to 5-1, tossing 6 innings and allowing six hits and four runs, three were earned. John Grigg fell to 2-2 for Lenoir-Rhyne, throwing 4.0 innings and scattering six hits with four runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Both teams were scoreless through the first three innings of play
• Rollins broke the stalemate in the bottom of the fourth, after L-R had walked three consecutive hitters, then a mistake by Grigg on a wild throw allowed Rollins to bring in two runners and take the lead, 2-0
• The Tars increased their lead behind a BJ Minarcin RBI single, as well as a Mike Purcell two-RBI double, and finally a Nick Santucci single to cap off a huge fifth inning, ending with a 6-1 Tars advantage.
• The sixth inning was filled with tons of action as the Tars were able to get out of a bases loaded L-R jam with a double play.
• Nick Santucci then added a double in the bottom of the frame that would help being home a run and increase the Tars lead to 7-1.
• In the seventh, the L-R Bears cut into the Tars lead by starting off the inning with two straight singles, the another single by Dean was able to see two runs score and cut the Tars lead to 7-4
Rollins held onto their lead, even after the Bears made one final attempt in the last inning by adding a single run, to make the score 7-5. The Tars Joey Vecchione was able to handle the rest of the Bears and earned the save.
• Saturday was the second-ever meeting between Lenoir-Rhyne with the series even at 1-1.
• Rollins improves to 16-9 at home this season.
• As a team, The Tars are batting a steady .302 this season.
• Peter Nicoletto hit his sixth double of the season; Purcell his third.
• Peter Nicoletto picked up his team-leading 14th stolen base of the season.
The Tars and Bears will meet again for the final time this season on Sunday, March 26 at Noon in Alfond Stadium. Fans can follow all the action live on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.