BOCA RATON, Fla. (March 31, 2017) – Rollins and Lynn battled it out in Boca Raton, Florida, but the Lynn Fighting Knights high powered offense and precise pitching proved to be too much and handed the Tars an 11-2 loss.
The game opened a three-game weekend series between the Tars and the Fighting Knights. They will meet at 12 p.m. on Saturday, April 1 for a doubleheader.
Patrick Dorrian and Tyler Curtis led 20th-ranked Lynn (21-10, 5-5 SSC) offensively. Both went 2-5 at the plate, Dorrian hit a grand slam, and Curtis had two RBI while scoring twice himself as well.
Brad Case took the loss for the Tars, dropping to 4-4 on the season, tossing 5.1 innings and allowing twelve hits and eight runs, all earned. Donovan Armas improved to 6-1 for the Fighting Knights, throwing 6.0 innings and scattering six hits with two runs, and seven strikeouts in a winning effort.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The beginning of the game turned into a pitching battle, as both starting pitchers, Case and Armas combined for seven strikeouts in the first two innings.
• Lynn opened up the scoring in the bottom of the third with a RBI single by Karl Ellison which brought home the speedy Miguel Ceballos all the way from first base.
• Lynn really caught fire in the bottom of the fourth inning, where they scored six runs on seven hits, including a grand slam by Patrick Dorrian
• Rollins got on the board in the top of the sixth when Grant Ashline hit an RBI single to bring Brian Brooker home, and then Donovan Armas walked Sam Lafontaine with the bases loaded to cut Lynn’s lead to 7-2.
• In the bottom of the seventh, Lynn’s Jonathon Corbitt hit a solo home run, he was then followed by Tyler Curtis who hit a two-run shot over the fence to increase their lead, 11-2.
• Rollins still leads the all-time series 42-36-1 against Lynn
• Rollins drops to 1-2 on the road this season.
• Nick Breen’s 10 game hit streak comes to an end
• Mike Purcell leads the Tars with a .358 batting average
The Tars and Fighting Knights will meet again to play a double header on Saturday, April 1 at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. The Fans can follow all the action live on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.