|Points||Philpott - 18||Dewberry - 37|
|Rebounds||Mckim - 6||2 tied with 6|
|Assists||Galvis - 5||Brice - 8|
WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 25, 2017) – Rollins erased a 17 point deficit in the second half to defeat Saint Leo on Senior Day and their final regular season game of the season. The Tars’ 82-74 victory over the Lions extends their win streak to five games entering the post-season.
With the victory, Rollins improves their record to 18-10 overall and 11-6 in the SSC and clinches the No. 3 seed in the SSC Tournament.
Sam Philpott led the way for the Tars with 18 points and five rebounds. He was followed by Jeff Merton, who scored 16 points on the evening. Eric Castaneda and Joey Galvis also scored in double-figures with 14 and 10 points respectively. Galvis also recorded four assists and three steals for the Tars in his final regular season game.
Marcus Dewberry was the leading scorer on the evening, scoring 37 points to pace the Lions. Justin Satchell followed, scoring 21 points and securing six rebounds.
• Marcus Dewberry (SLEO) 37 pts, 4 rebs, 3 steals
• Justin Satchell (SLEO) 21 pts, 6 rebs
• Sam Philpott (RC) 18 pts, 5 rebs
• Jeff Merton (RC) 16 pts
HIGHLIGHTS AND HALF BY HALF ANALYSIS
First Half | It was a slow offensive start for both teams in the opening minutes of the first half. However, after the first media timeout, the Tars went on an 8-0 run kick-started by back-to-back three-pointers by Merton and Galvis to take a 12-3 lead over the Lions. The Tars were able to maintain their lead with just over 10 minutes left in the half until the Lions answered with their own back-to-back three pointers to take a 21-17 lead. Despite keeping the score within four with just over five minutes left in the half, the Lions were able to extend their lead to 45-32 to end the half.
Second Half | The Lions led by 17 points with 18:36 left in the second half, but the Tars fought all the way back to erase the 17 point deficit. With 6:36 left in the game, Connor McKim hit a crucial three pointer to bring the Tars within one. On the following possession, the Tars were able to capitalize on a Saint Leo turnover, allowing Jack Fleming to hit another three-pointer to give Rollins a 64-62 lead. The Tars never looked back, maintaining their lead for the final six minutes to secure an 82-74 victory over the Lions.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Field Goal Shooting: Rollins 27-66 (40.9 percent), Saint Leo 27-57 (47.4 percent)
• 3-point Field Goal Shooting: Rollins 7-18 (38.9 percent), Saint Leo 13-33 (39.4 percent)
• Free throws: Rollins 21-20 (70 percent), Saint Leo 7-7 (100 percent)
• Rebounding: Rollins 39, Saint Leo 34
• Turnovers: Rollins 12, Saint Leo 19
• Steals: Rollins 14, Saint Leo 4
• Rollins leads the all-time series with Saint Leo 84-21. The Tars won the last meeting 77-72 on the road.
• Rollins will be the No. 3 seed and host a first-round game in the 2017 SSC Tournament.
• Sam Philpott was one of the five recipients of the CoSIDA Academic All-District award and is in the running for Academic All-American.
• Philpott has hit at least one field goal in the each of the past 36 games.
• Rollins’ 14 steals ties for the second highest amount of steals in the 2016-2017 season
• Tom Klusman improves his overall record to 671-391.
NEXT UP FOR THE TARS
The Tars have secured the No. 3 seed in the SSC Tournament and will host a first round game in the SSC Tournament. Tournament action is slated to begin on Wednesday, March 1. Fans can follow the action live on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com and locally on 91.5 FM WPRK.
story by Kylie Klotzbach