ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 18, 2017) – The Tars dropped their series opener to the Eckerd Tritons 3-2 on Saturday afternoon. With the loss Rollins falls to 21-12 overall, and 4-3 in Sunshine State Conference play. The Tritons improve to 12-18, and pick up their first SSC win, now sitting at 1-6.
The contest was the first true road game for the Tars since February 25. Rollins had played 17 consecutive home matches, going 14-3. Rollins falls to 1-3 in true road contests on the year, and 6-7 away from Martin Luther King, Jr. Park.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· The Tritons jumped out to an early lead, scoring once in the bottom of the first, then again in the second. Chelsea Armstrong tallied the RBI single in the first, then Kiley King scored an un earned run in the second.
· The Tars tied it up in the fourth, plating two runs of their own. Rachel Minier started the rally with a two out double, eventually scoring on a wild pitch. Grace Street then crossed the plate on a Sarah Harrison RBI double.
· Eckerd walked off in the seventh, after getting one out Rollins gave up back-to-back singles, then the game winner, an RBI double by Rachael Luckett.
· Chelsea Reed is now a perfect 10-10 on steals this year, and swiped career bag number 46 in fifth inning.
· Rollins has not lost a series to Eckerd in over 11 year; the Tars will need to sweep tomorrow’s double-header to keep that streak alive.
· The Tars left nine runners on the base paths, including leaving the bases loaded in the fifth inning.
· Rachel Minier tied Brianne Lint for the team lead with her seventh double of the season.
· Michelle Frew is now 763-313-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins and Eckerd will conclude their three game set with a double-header tomorrow, March 19. First pitch of game one is set for 1 p.m.