Rollins (24-20, 6-9 SSC) vs. Lynn (23-16, 9-6 SSC)
Winter Park, Fla. – Martin Luther King, Jr. Park
Thursday, April 13, 2017 – 6:00 p.m. (DH)
Friday, April 14, 2017 – 3:00 p.m.
The Tars will look to come away with some key Sunshine State Conference wins, taking on the Lynn University Fighting Knights in their last home series of the 2017 season. Rollins traveled to Nova Southeastern last time out, earning one win in their three games against the Sharks. The Tars were shut out in game one, before coming from behind to take an extra inning contest in game two, however, the Tars dropped the rubber match 5-2. Rollins will now look to right the ship as they celebrate the careers of seniors Claire Hamilton, Hali Marshall, Hailee Keisling, Rachel Minier, and Chelsea Reed.
TRACKING THE TARS:
Rollins moved up a spot, and now sit second in the SSC in both batting average, at .289, and slugging percentage, at .408. Senior, leadoff hitter, Keisling is acing the Tars, with the fifth best average in the conference, hitting .365 on the year. The first baseman is second in the conference in on base percentage, at .488, and leads the SSC in walks, with 31. After lifting one ball over the fence in last week’s series, Brianne Lint now has seven homeruns, tied for the third highest total in the SSC. Reed sits third in the conference in RBI, and leads the Tars with 32 runners driven in.
Rollins has amassed a 2.91 ERA as a team this season. Grace Street leads the Tars with 2.57 ERA, after two solid outings last week. Sarah Piening has tallied 13 wins on the year, leading the Tars in her freshman campaign. Amanda Guglietta has been a late season addition to the staff, earning a 2-1 record in six relief appearances.
TRACKING THE FIGHTING KNIGHTS:
Lynn travels to Winter Park on the back of a highly competitive three game set against Embry-Riddle. The Fighting Knights lost the first two contests, 2-1 in nine innings, and 1-0, before salvaging the third game, 2-1 in 10 innings.
The Fighting Knights travel to Winter Park as the SSC’s sixth best hitting team, amassing a team average of .262. Freshman Karolina Flores is leading the the Lynn offense. The infielder is batting a team best .352, slugging .570, has a .415 on base percentage, knocking 11 doubles, and four triples. Leanne Wright and Victoria Rios have provided the most power in the Lynn order, each hitting four homeruns. The Fighting Knights have not been aggressive on the base paths, as a team they have tallied just 13 steals, while being caught six times.
Lynn has used five pitchers on the year, all combining for just a 1.49 ERA. Francais Olexa has established herself as the ace of the staff. The junior has appeared n 25 games, making 17 starts, with a 12-9 record. The lefty has maintained a 1.21 ERA and is averaging 5.41 strikeouts per seven innings of action. Freshman Kayla Sheffield has earned a 7-3 record in 15 appearances and 10 starts.
· Rollins traveled to Boca Raton and swept Lynn last season, outscoring the Fighting Knights 14-2 over the three games.
· The Tars are 47-16 all-time against Lynn.
· Rollins enters their final series at Martin Luther King Park with a record of 16-10 at home this year.
· The Tars are second in the conference, successfully stealing 77 bases on 87 attempts.
· Rollins continues to pace the SSC in both homeruns and double plays. The Tars have blasted 27 long balls, seven more than the next highest team, and have turned 24 double plays, eight more that the second place squad.
· Hailee Keisling is only eight hits away from moving into third on the Rollins all-time list, while Chelsea Reed needs 16 hits in the Tars’ final nine games to join Keisling in the 200 hit club.
· Michelle Frew is 765-321-1, in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars will head back to south Florida for a SSC matchup against the Barry Buccaneers. Game one is scheduled to begin on Friday April 21 at 6 p.m. The series will conclude with a doubleheader on Saturday, April 22.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.