WINTER PARK, Fla. (November 15, 2016) – Rollins junior outside hitter Bri Civiero notched a new personal best in kills and total attacks in a match, posting 26 kills and 82 total attacks as the Tars took on Eckerd College for the second time in five days. It was a hard-fought effort from the start for the Tars as Rollins bounced back from a 20-25 Set 1 setback to take the ensuing two sets by corresponding scores of 25-18 and 25-19. However, the Tritons bounced back to take the fourth set, 25-20, and then earned the 15-13 edge in the decisive set to take the match, 3-2.
The hard-fought loss drops the Tars to a record of 11-18 and 3-11 in Sunshine State Conference action, while the Tritons advance to a mark of 18-12, and 9-6 in SSC play.
Civiero’s personal best night was capped off with 19 digs for her 18th double-double of the season. The junior was joined in double-digit kill counts by classmate Shannon McDonough, who tallied 13 on the day. Setter Gina Cappetta dished out a match high 43 assists, while Rebecca Wilson earned a team high 27 digs. The Tars’ defensive efforts at the net were firing on all cylinders, with the Tars posting 12.0 total blocks as a team, led by senior Kate Stefanski who posted up 8 block assists. Kianna Dieudonné and MaryBethany Vincent were close behind with 6 block assists apiece to help the Tars’ defensive efforts at the net.
The Tritons were led in kills by Mackenzie Redner with 13, followed by Kali Boatwright with 10 of her own. Gabriella Reis led the Tritons in assists with 20, but was closely followed by Fernanda Reis with 17. Kaitlyn Sibson led the match with 38 digs, followed by Arielle Erillo with 17, and Keri Mcmahon and G. Reis with 11 and 10, respectively. The Tritons were on fire at the net, posting up 19.5 blocks as a team on the night. Jaquayla Baker tallied 12 total blocks, putting up 10 block assists and two solo stops to lead the match.
- Junior Bri Civiero earned a new career high in kills and total attacks in a match, posting 26 kills and 82 total attacks on the night. The Mount Dora, Fla. native also tallied her 18th double-double of the year.
- Senior Kate Stefanski had a career night at the net, putting up a career high eight blocks against the Tritons.
- Junior Kianna Dieudonné notched new match highs in assists with three, and matched a personal best in block assists with six on the night.
- Junior MaryBethany Vincent matched a personal best in block assists with six on the day.
- Freshman Gina Cappetta moved into 15th in the program’s all-time record book for career digs, having amassed 671 so far in her fledgling career. She also notched her seventh double-double of the season with 43 assists and 10 digs.
- It was a hard-fought battle from the beginning, with the match tied on 36 different occasions, while seeing a total of 12 different lead changes. The match was tied 14 times and saw the score change hands a match high four times throughout the fourth set.
COACH ROBINSON’S THOUGHTS:
“I couldn’t be prouder of how we battled tonight against a very good Eckerd team. We had so many different people step up at different times. Effort like tonight lays a great foundation for not only our remaining games but also for our off season and next fall."
Date: Friday | November 18, 2016
Opponent: Lynn University
Location: Winter Park, Fla.
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.