WINTER PARK, Fla. (November 18, 2016) – Junior MaryBethany Vincent notched a new career high in block assists with seven on the night, but the Rollins volleyball team was unable to stop a streaking Lynn University squad who has won their last five matches. The Fighting Knights claimed the first two sets over the Tars, but Rollins bounced back to take Set 3 before Lynn sealed the deal in the fourth to earn the 3-1 (23-25, 21-25, 25-20, 11-25) victory in Sunshine State Conference action.
The win drops the Tars to a record of 11-19 and 3-12 in SSC play, while the Fighting Knights, who have climbed the conference standings after four straight key victories over Florida Southern, Eckerd, Saint Leo, and then-22nd ranked Tampa, advance their record to 20-9 and 11-5 against SSC opponents and win their fifth straight down the tail stretch of the regular season.
Behind Bri Civiero’s match high 20 kills, Rollins saw 15 kills from junior Shannon McDonough. Freshman Cassidy Cason dished out 45 of the Tars’ 46 total assists on the night, with McDonough getting credit for the final assist on the night. Sophomore Sam Schlesman tallied two of the Tars’ three service aces on the day, while junior MaryBethany Vincent took control at the net and led the team in blocks with seven on the night. Senior Kate Stefanski had a strong night as she posted nine kills and four blocks, including the team’s lone solo block of the contest. Junior Rebecca Wilson led the team in digs, earning 19 on the day.
The Fighting Knights were led by Cleuza Porto and Cristina Llorens with 19 and 16 kills, respectively. Llorens added a team second best 13 digs for the lone double-double of the match. Marissa Tandron earned 47 of Lynn’s 57 total assists on the night, followed by Katie Knight with four. Knight led the team in digs with 20, while Claire Angelich led the team in blocks with six on the night with six total, including two solo blocks.
- Junior MaryBethany Vincent matched a career high in total blocks and notched a new career high block assists, with seven on the night. Her seven blocks mark a 2016 season high for the Atlanta, Ga. native.
- Junior Bri Civiero posted her second highest attack percentage of the season with a .354. Civiero’s best attack percentage so far this season came against Texas Woman’s University on September 10, where she compiled a .400 on the day.
- Civiero moves into 10th in program record books for kills in a season, with 469.
- Shannon McDonough moves into 12th in program record books for kills in a season, with 454 in her junior campaign.
- Cassidy Cason currently sits 18th in program record books for assists in a season, having amassed 568 so far in her freshman year.
- The match saw a total of 16 tied scores, as well as eight different lead changes, six of which happened in Set 3.
Date: Saturday | November 19, 2016
Opponent: Barry University | Senior Day
Location: Winter Park, Fla.
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.