WINTER PARK, Fla. (April 13, 2017) – Rollins edged past the 18th-ranked Nova Southeastern Sharks, 3-2 on Thursday night. A Mike Dolan sacrifice fly in the bottom of the ninth inning brought Grant Ashline home to score, securing the Tar’s sixth Sunshine State Conference victory of the season.
The game opened a three-game weekend series between the Tars and the Sharks. They will meet at 12 p.m. on Friday, April 14 for a doubleheader at Harper Shepherd field.
Ashline led Rollins, (21-14, 6-7 SSC) hitting 2-3 on the night with an RBI and scoring two runs for the Tars. Nick Breen went 1-4 at the plate, and scored a run.
Jeremy Vasquez and Dylan Woods paced NSU (24-14, 10-6 SSC) offensively. Vasquez hit a single shot home run, and also recorded an RBI on the night. Woods went 2-4, hitting two singles on the night and got walked once.
AJ Chacon started on the mound for the Tars, pitching 4.2 innings, giving up five hits and two runs, but only one was earned. Chacon also tallied up three strikeouts. Caleb Jakes replaced Chacon in the fifth inning, and came out hot. He only gave up two hits in four innings pitched, but he still managed to record nine strikeouts, including seven in a row over the sixth, seventh, and eighth innings. Whit Drennan picks up his second win of the season for the Tars, recording the last out of the top of the ninth.
Matt Hardy started the Sharks off on the mound. The Sharks ace pitched 7.0 innings, and gave up four hits, and only two runs to go along with nine strikeouts. Churchill came on for Hardy in the eighth inning, and managed to pick up two strikeouts as well but took his first loss of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• The Sharks didn’t waste any time putting a score on the board in the top of the first inning, when a Tars fielding error saw Jancarlos Cintron score and give the Sharks an early 1-0 advantage.
• It wasn’t until the bottom of the fourth inning that the Tars were able to respond with a Grant Ashline single, which brought Nick Breen home to score.
• The Sharks would retake the lead shortly after in the top of the fifth inning, behind a Jeremy Vasquez solo shot home run to right center field.
• In the bottom of the seventh inning, Nick Santucci took advantage of a Sharks error in left field and ended up on second while Ashline scored to knot the score at 2-2.
• The Tars were able to capitalize in the bottom of the ninth, when Ashline hit a triple to get into scoring position with just one out. Next, Dolan drove the sacrifice fly deep into center field, allowing Ashline to score the winning run for the Tars.
• Rollins still trails the all-time series vs. Nova Southeastern, 34-22
• Rollins improves to 17-10 at home this season
• This is the Tars first victory over the Sharks since April 2015
• Peter Nicoletto remains tied atop the Tars all-time triples list with 18.
The Tars and the Sharks will meet again to play a double header on Friday, April 14 at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. The Fans can follow all the action live on the Geico Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.