WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 7, 2017) – Rollins continues play in the 69th annual Baseball Week with a win over St. Anselm by a score of 15-2 Tuesday evening. With the victory, Rollins improves to 12-4 on the season, while St. Anselm falls to 1-5 overall.
Peter Nicoletto put on a power hitting clinic, leading the team to victory with three home runs and five RBI. On the mound, Caleb Jakes was dominant over the Hawks, striking out 10 batters in his six innings while only allowing three hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
· Peter Nicoletto started the Tars half of the first with a towering shot that left the park in left center field, putting the Tars up early, 1-0.
· Rollins created a two-out rally in the second inning as Nicoletto hit his second home run in as many at bats, this time driving in three runs. Mike Purcell and Nick Breen teamed up to tack on another run with a double followed by an RBI single.
· Caleb Jakes had a dominant start on the mound, striking out six of the first seven batters he faced during the first two innings.
· In the fourth inning, Nicoletto showed off his speed on the base paths, swiping two bases before scoring off of a Mike Purcell single up the middle, giving the Tars a 6-0 lead.
· Junior outfielder Nick Breen started to pour it on in the fifth inning as he drove in two runs off of a single between third base and the shortstop. In the sixth, Brian Brooker and Grant Ashline teamed up for a pair of doubles to extend the lead. Philip Burket also had an RBI single.
· For the third-time Tuesday night, Nicoletto hit a no-doubt home run to start a four run seventh inning. Daytona State product Brian Brooker doubled in a run a few batters later, followed by a Dan Carollo RBI single, his first of 2017. Zach Mishriki also got in the score book, extending the Tars lead to 14-0 with a sacrifice fly.
· St. Anselm got on the board for the first time in the eighth inning, stringing together a handful of hits and taking advantage of a fielding error. The Hawks scored two runs before the end of the inning.
· Rollins went on to score one more insurance run in their half of the eighth, and held on to win 15-2.
· Peter Nicoletto (RC): 3-5, 3 HR, 4 R, 5 RBI
· Brian Brooker (RC): 3-5, 2 2B, 2 R, 2 RBI
· John Marculitis (STA): 3-4, 1 R
· Caleb Jakes (RC): 6.0 IP, W, 3 H, 10 K
· John Lavoie (STA): 3.0 IP, L, 1 ER, 2 K
· The Tars are now 3-1 in the 69th iteration of Baseball Week, defeating Assumption, Nyack and St. Anselm.
· The Tars scored at least one run in every inning, except for the third inning when they left one runner stranded.
· Rollins improves to 15-4 against St. Anselm and Dr. Jon Sjogren is now 306-280-4 as the head coach of Rollins College baseball.
Rollins continues Baseball Week action on Wednesday, March 8 as they take on Concordia. First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. For the latest news, updates, and information on Rollins baseball, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.