|Points||Gilbert - 17||Springs - 30|
|Rebounds||2 tied with 6||2 tied with 11|
|Assists||Jones - 7||Lang - 5|
WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 25, 2017) – Seniors Tanaya Jones, Brittany Betts, and Marie Gilbert ended their final regular season at Rollins with their 12th consecutive win, beating Saint Leo 74-61 on Saturday at Warden Arena. The Tars captured the lead with 6:57 left in the third quarter and never looked back, extending their lead to 13 points to end the game.
Four Tars scored in double figures, led by Gilbert with 17 points and six rebounds. Denise Daniels also had a solid afternoon, scoring 12 points and grabbing six rebounds. Tianna Rosser and Betts had 11 and 10 points respectively on the afternoon.
Chelsy Springs scored a game high 30 points and 11 rebounds to pace Saint Leo. Asia Royster also recorded a double-double for the Lions, scoring 12 points and pulling down 11 rebounds.
The victory extends the Tars’ record to 20-6 overall and 14-4 in the SSC. With the win, the Tars finish as runner-up in the SSC and will flip a coin for the No.2 seed in the SSC Tournament.
• Chelsy Springs (SLEO) 30 pts, 11 rebs
• Asia Royster (SLEO) 12 pts, 11 rebs
• Marie Gilbert (RC) 17 pts, 6 rebs, 3 assists
• Denise Daniels (RC) 12 pts, 6 rebs
HIGHLIGHTS AND QUARTER BY QUARTER ANALYSIS
First Quarter | The Tars quickly jumped out to a 6-0 lead to start the game, but the Lions fought back to take an 8-6 lead with 6:30 left on the clock. The rest of the quarter would be a close battle with the Tars taking a 19-17 lead thanks to a balanced team effort and 13 points from the bench.
Second Quarter |The second quarter started off slow for the Tars, with the Lions jumping out to a quick 24-20 lead. However, the Tars found their rhythm, going on a 7-0 run to take a 30-26 lead with just under five minutes left. With a three pointer from Betts and a foul shot from Vernisha Andrews, the Tars took their largest lead of the half (34-27). The Lions answered the Tars’ run in the final three minutes, pulling within two points (38-36) to end the quarter.
Third Quarter | The Lions would keep it close, pulling within one point halfway through the third quarter. However, the Tars finished out the final five minutes on a 9-2 run, highlighted by a layup and three pointer by Betts to finish the quarter 53-45.
Fourth Quarter | The Tars never looked back in the fourth quarter, maintaining their lead through the final ten minutes. With 1:18 left in the game, Gilbert hit a three-pointer extending the Tars’ lead to 10. The Tars were able to clench the win with a steal from Jones that led to a three point play from Rosser with just 45 seconds left on the clock.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Field Goal Shooting: Rollins 30-59 (50.8 percent), Saint Leo 22-58 (37.9 percent)
• 3-point Field Goal Shooting: Rollins 6-13 (46.2 percent), Saint Leo 5-22 (22.7 percent)
• Free throws: Rollins 8-15 (53.3 percent), Saint Leo 12-14 (85.7 percent)
• Rebounding: Rollins 36, Saint Leo 34
• Turnovers: Rollins 10, Saint Leo 11
• The Tars’ 50.8 shooting percentage is their second best shooting performance of the season
• Rollins leads the all-time series against Saint Leo 83-10 and has won the last eight in a row over the Lions.
• Tanaya Jones is now eighth all-time in steals for Rollins
• Rollins’ win streak is the longest since winning 14 straight in the 2011-2012 season
• Glenn Wilkes Jr. improves to 683-233 all-time
NEXT UP FOR THE TARS
The Tars will flip a coin for the No. 2 seed in the SSC Tournament. The tournament is set to begin on Wednesday, March 1. Fans can follow all the action live at RollinsSports.com.
story by Kylie Klotzbach