Rollins (2-0-1) – 2
Southeastern (1-3-0) – 1
LAKELAND, Fla. (September 16, 2017) – After more than a week hiatus, following Hurricane Irma, the Tars took to the pitch against NAIA opponent Southeastern. The Fire took an early lead, but a pair of second half goals by Ben Grant gave Rollins the 2-1 victory. The Tars now stand at 2-0-1 on the year, while the Fire sit at 1-3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
First Half: Southeastern would find the back of the net in the early going to give them a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute. Jonathan Jimenez would take a Gustavo Rodrigues pass inside the 18-yard box and slot it past Rollins keeper TJ Brubaker. Rollins would control much of the action for the remainder of the half, having a would be equalizer called back for offsides, and another cleared off the line by the Fire defense.
Second Half: The Tars would come out aggressively in the second half; getting on the scoreboard after just five minutes of action. Junior captain Ben Grant would find the back of the net after an assist from Damian Clarke. Both teams would battle to gain the advantage, each getting chances, for the next 35 minutes. It would be Grant again, who would find the winner, slotting the ball passed the Fire net minder off a pass from Dominic Adomakoh in the 86th minute. The Tars would see out the final moments to secure the win
- The Tars are now 4-0 all-time against Southeastern.
- The Tars controlled much of the play, outshooting the Fire 21-8.
- Dominic Adomakoh's 86th minute assist, on the game winner, was the freshman's first point in the Blue and Gold.
- Ben Grant ties Damian Clarke for the team lead with three goals in three games in 2017.
- Head Coach Keith Buckley improves to 308-148-30, as he is into his 27th season at the helm of the Rollins soccer program.
Rollins will host Sunshine State Conference rival Florida Southern in their home opener at Barker Family Stadium. The match is scheduled for Wednesday, September 20, at 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins men's soccer team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.