No. 17 Rollins (5-2-1, 3-2-0 SSC) – 0
Tampa (3-2-1, 2-1-1 SSC) – 2
TAMPA, Fla. (October 4, 2017) – Rollins could not recover from an early deficit, and lacked precision in the final third, as they fell 2-0 to the Tampa Spartans. The loss moves the No. 17 Tars' record to 5-2-1 on the year and 3-2-0 in Sunshine State Conference play. The Spartans improve to 3-2-1 in 2017, while moving to 2-1-1 in SSC action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
First Half: The Spartans tallied within the first minute of play. Felipe DeSousa got on the end of a Romario Grant cross and redirected the ball passed a sprawling Julian Grundler to give Tampa a 1-0 lead. Both teams traded chances for the remainder of the half. The Spartans outshot the Tars, four shots against two in the half, while each keeper made one save.
Second Half: The Tars opened the second half by applying a lot of pressure on the Spartan backline. However, Tampa doubles their lead in the 53rd minute; this time it was DeSousa providing the service, with Monte Berrow applying the finish. Down a pair of tallies the Tars increased their offensive presence, but could still not light the scoreboard. Rollins outshot Tampa 7-3 in the second half, and forced three saves from the Spartan net-minder.
- The Tars are now 17-25-4 all time against Tampa.
- Rollins outshot Tampa 9-7 for the game, putting four shots on target, against the Spartans three.
- The Tars earned eight corner kicks, while Tampa only registered two.
- This marks only the second time this season the Tars have surrendered multiple goals.
- Head Coach Keith Buckley moves to 311-150-30, as he is in his 27th season at the helm of the Rollins soccer program.
The Tars will host the No. 8 Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish. Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday, October 7, at 7 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins men's soccer team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.