Ashton and German Net Four Goals Apiece
WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 9, 2018) – The 13th-ranked Rollins women's lacrosse team jumped out to an early lead and never looked back as they defeated Seton Hill by a final score of 14-8 on Friday afternoon at Cahall-Sandspur Field. The win advances the Tars to a record of 5-2 on the season, while the Griffins drop to 1-3 overall.
Sophomore Hannah Ashton and Junior Kallie German scored a game high four goals apiece, with German adding an assist for a game best five points overall. Megan Cury netted a hat trick, while Maggie Dougherty matched her in points with two goals and an assist. Paige Brock tallied two points with a goal and an assist, while Lily Rizk dished out an assist of her own. Malorie Olin, Brooke Ottaway, and Rizk each earned a team best three ground balls, while Ashton led the team in draw controls with five. Rizk had a solid afternoon in the midfield, adding a team best two caused turnovers to her outing. In goal, Olin played a full game, earning eight saves as she faced 19 shots and 16 shots on goal from the Griffins as she allowed eight goals.
Seton Hill saw a team best two goals from Katelyn Cressman as a total of seven different players put goals on the board. Savannah Monroe led the team in overall points with three as she notched a goal and a team best two assists. Hailey Jacobs led the game with six ground balls, while Keagan Pontious earned a game high seven draw controls and notched the teams' only two caused turnovers. In goal, Jacobs saw a full 60 minutes of action, earning 10 saves while allowing eight goals as she faced 32 shots and 24 shots on goal from the Tars.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Half: Rollins opened up to a 4-1 lead with 21:27 on the clock thanks to two goals apiece by Ashton and Cury, but Seton Hill battled back to pull to within one, 4-3, with 16:47 left in the half. Both teams traded blows to set the score at 5-4 with 5:01 left in the period, but two straight goals by the Tars to close out the half gave Rollins a 7-4 lead at the break.
- Second Half: The Tars opened up the second half with two more goals to take a 9-4 lead with 25:48 to play, but two consecutive goals by the Griffins closed the gap to three, 9-6, with 19:10 on the clock. Despite Seton Hill's best efforts on defense, Rollins outscored the Griffins 5-2 throughout the final 15 minutes of play to close out the game with a final score of 14-8.
- Hannah Ashton matched a career high for draw controls won in a game with five, which she first set on March 9, 2017 against Limestone. Ashton also notched a new career high for shots in a game with nine.
- Megan Cury matched a career high for goals in a game with three, which she has reached in two other games (3/29/16 vs Lindenwood, and 4/8/15 against Florida Tech)
- German matched a career high in free position goals scored in a game with three, which she first set on April 28, 2017 against Florida Tech.
- Lily Rizk matched a career best for ground balls in a game with three, which she first set on April 28, 2017 against Florida Tech.
- German sits second in program history in free-position goals with 45, and is just two free-position goals away from tying program leader Erica Pagliarulo `13, and three away from taking over as the program's all-time leader in free-position goals scored.
- Malorie Olin currently ranks second in program records for career saves with 402. She sits behind Elyse De Lisle `14, who amassed 463 in her career.
- Lindsay Van Beck has moved into third in program record books for caused turnovers in a career with 66. She sits 41 caused turnovers behind program leader Courtney Bianculli `13, who amassed 107 in her time with the Tars.
- The Tars are now 2-1 in the all-time series with the Griffins.
- The Tars entered into the week sitting 13th on the IWLCA Division II Coaches Poll, and sit 18th on the NIKE/US Lacrosse Division II Top 20.
Rollins returns to action on Monday, March 12, when they host Lock Haven at Cahall-Sandspur Field. Game time against the Griffins is set for 2 p.m. Fans who are unable to attend the games will be able to catch all of the action live on the Tars Sports Network on RollinsSports.com, as well as with live stats on TarsStats.com.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins women's lacrosse team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.