GOLDEN, Colo. (September 1, 2017) – Junior middle blocker Sam Schlesman put up six blocks on the night as the Rollins volleyball team swept Colorado Mesa, 3-0 (27-25, 25-22, 25-21). The Tars close out day one of the 2017 Courtyard and Residence Inn by Marriott Oredigger Classic with a record of 1-1 on the season, while the Mavericks drop to 1-1 on their young campaign.
Bri Civiero led the squad in kills with 14, followed by Shannon McDonough with 11. McDonough added 12 digs for her first double-double of the season, while Jaime Becker followed close behind with 11 digs of her own. Cassidy Cason earned a team high 35 assists on the night on 40 total attempts for a set percentage of .875. Kerra Tirado tallied seven kills and notched the team's lone solo block on the night for three blocks total, while Civiero posted up four block assists.
Colorado Mesa saw a team high 20 kills from Mackenzie Edwards, followed by 10 kills from Katie Scherr. Dishing out the assists was Samantha Ritter with a match high 42, while Taylor Woods led the team with 17 digs. Scherr added 11 digs on the night for a double-double. At the net, Megan Gianinetti and Hattie Gianinetti put up one block assist apiece.
COACH ROBINSON'S THOUGHTS:
"Today was a great first day. I was pleased with how we responded after a disappointing finish this morning, and we made definite strides in our mental game, especially considering the time and altitude difference."
- Senior Shannon McDonough posted her first double-double of the season with 11 kills and 12 digs.
- The match was tied 13 times, but only saw the lead change hands twice, once in the first set, and once in set three.
- Set One: The Tars trailed by four, 18-14, but rallied to tie the set at 24-24. Rollins then took a 25-24 lead before the Mavericks pulled even once more, but Rollins sealed the deal thanks to two straight errors by Colorado Mesa to earn the 27-25 win. Overall, the first set saw the score tied nine times with one lead change.
- Set Two: Rollins jumped out to an early 3-0 lead and never looked back. The Tars led by as much as seven, 20-13, and held back an eager Maverick squad from a comeback to earn the 25-22 win in the second set.
- Set Three: The Mavericks opened up to an 13-6 lead, but Rollins rattled off five straight to pull back to within two, 13-11. The Tars knotted the score at 16-16, and took the lead on a kill by McDonough to set the score at 18-17. Rollins continued to hold the lead for the remainder of the set to secure the 25-21 decisive victory.
- The match marks the first sweep of the season for the Tars.
- Rollins is squaring up against three nationally ranked opponents in their first four matches
- Date: Saturday | September 2, 2017
- Opponent: No. 10 Augustana
- Location: Golden, Colo.
- Time: 1:00 p.m. (EST)
- Coverage: Live Stats
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.