GOLDEN, Colo. (September 2, 2017) – Taking on their third nationally-ranked program in four matches, the Rollins volleyball team was unable to topple the 24th-ranked Northern State University Wolves in Saturday evening at Lockridge Arena, falling by a final score of 3-0 (19-25, 22-25, 12-25). The Tars close out their opening weekend at the 2017 Courtyard and Residence Inn by Marriott Oredigger Classic with a record of 1-3, while Northern State advances their record to 2-1
Senior Shannon McDonough notched her second double-double of the season with 10 kills and 14 digs, while fellow senior Bri Civiero led the team in total kills with 15. Sophomore Cassidy Cason earned 31 assists, while McDonough and Jaime Becker compiled two apiece. Behind McDonough's 14 digs, Cason tallied seven, while Rachel Fletcher and Becker dug out six each. Becker also led the team in service aces with two. At the net, Mary Bethany Vincent and McDonough posted up a team best three blocks apiece. Kerra Tirado earned the Tars' lone solo block on the day, adding it to an assisted block for two total.
The Wolves were led by Hailey Busch with 13 kills, followed by Holly Vancura with eight. Ashley Rozell earned 34 assists on 39 attempts, while Jaiden Langlie led the team in service aces with four of Northern State's seven total. Langlie also led the team in digs with 13, followed by Vancura with seven. At the net, Morgan Baufield put up six blocks, followed by Busch with four.
COACH ROBINSON'S THOUGHTS:
"We faced two really good teams today, and we learned a lot about what we need to do in order to finish well. We saw some great play at times, and at other times we struggled to find a rhythm. A lot of credit for that goes to the strong serving and offense that both Augustana and Northern State brought."
- Shannon McDonough notched her second double-double of the season
- Out of their four matches played so far this season, three have come against nationally-ranked opponents.
- The Tars put up a fight, with the match tied 20 times and three lead changes. Set two proved to be the most hard fought, with the score tied 13 times, and all three lead changes occurring in the stanza.
- Set One: After a back and forth beginning to set one, the Tars found themselves tied at 17-17 late in the stanza. But a seven point run by the Wolves saw Rollins fall into a 24-17 deficit that they were unable to recover from, and NSU took a 1-0 match lead with a 25-19 win in the first set.
- Set Two: Set two proved to be a battle the entire frame, with the score tied 13 times and the lead changing hands on three occasions. The Tars led by three late in the set, 18-15, but the Wolves answered back with three straight points to tie the game at 18-18. Both teams traded blows and Rollins found themselves holding onto a 21-20 advantage, but four straight points by Northern State left Rollins trailing by three, 24-21. A kill by Civiero off of an assist by Cason pulled the Tars to within two, 24-22, but the Wolves sealed the deal on a kill by Busch off of an assist by Ashley Rozell to close out the second set with a score of 25-22.
- Set Three: Northern State jumped out to a 6-0 lead early and never looked back, leading by as much as 10, 13-3. The Tars fought back, pulling to within six, 17-11, but a late run by the Wolves saw them extend their advantage to 11 points with a score of 22-11. Rollins was able to notch one final point thanks to a kill by Cason off of an assist by McDonough, but the Wolves closed out the match with a final score of 25-12 in the third set.
- Date: Friday | September 8, 2017
- Opponent: Georgia College
- Location: Warden Arena | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 7:00 p.m.
- Coverage: Live Stats | Tars Sports Network Broadcast
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.