WINTER PARK, Fla. (September 29, 2017) – The senior duo of Shannon McDonough and Bri Civiero led the Tars on the night as the Rollins volleyball team fell in a hard-fought three setter (20-25, 23-25, 23-25) to Florida Southern on Friday evening in Warden Arena. The loss drops Rollins to a record of 3-7, and 2-4 in Sunshine State Conference play, while the Mocs win their fourth straight and advance to a record of 7-5, and 4-0 in SSC action.
McDonough and Civiero led the team in kills with 14 and 11 respectively, and both earned double-doubles as McDonough added 12 digs and Civiero contributed 11. Cassidy Cason led the team in assists with 29 on 98 total attempts. Freshman Leslie Seda notched a season best 12 digs, while Rachel Fletcher tallied 11 digs to match Civiero. Three Tars earned aces on the evening, as Seda, Rebecca Wilson, and Jaime Becker all found success on the serve. Defensively, Mary Bethany Vincent led the team in blocks with two, while McDonough and Cason earned one each.
The Mocs saw a team high 14 kills from Anna Tovo, followed by 13 from Nicole Mattson and 10 from Sydney Marshall. Bethany Besancenez dished out 40 assists on 107 total attempts, for a setting percentage of .374. The Mocs earned four aces on the night, led by Allie Geary with two. Nicci Joyce led the team in digs with 16, followed by Mattson with 12, Gabby Fresh with 11, and Tovo with 10. Leading the way at the net was Sydney Marshall with six total blocks, followed by Rachael Martin with five.
COACH ROBINSON'S THOUGHTS:
"Florida Southern was as good as we knew they were going to be, and most of the match we played them point for point. They are an extremely aggressive serving team, and that kept us from running as diversified of an offense as we would have liked to run. We also lost the blocking game tonight due to them being in system more frequently and running a fast tempo to the pins. However, I was extremely proud of the fight we showed in set three, trading points the entire set."
- Rollins and Florida Southern have matched up 96 times since their first meeting on October 13, 1976. The Mocs now lead the all-time series, 88-8
- The Tars hit their best in the final set, earning a .316 hitting percentage.
- The match was tied 32 times and saw the lead change hands on 12 occasions. The third set proved to be the hardest fought, with the score knotted up 18 times and the lead changing six times.
- Shannon McDonough earned her fourth straight double-double, marking her sixth of the season.
- Bri Civiero earned her second consecutive double-double, and her fourth on the season.
- Date: Saturday | September 30, 2017
- Opponent: Tampa
- Location: Warden Arena | Winter Park, Fla.
- Time: 4:00 p.m.
- Coverage: LIVE STATS | VIDEO
Fans can follow Tars volleyball all season long with live audio and video on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com, where the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins volleyball team can also be accessed. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.