WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 23, 2018) – The Rollins Tars dropped a 13-inning thriller to visiting Columbus State by a score of 6-5 on Friday night.
The Tars fall to 6-4 on the year, while the Cougars improve their record with an 8-2 mark.
Cameron Enck turned in seven strong innings for Rollins. The junior transfer allowed two runs (one earned) while scattering three hits and striking out seven. He was in line for his first win of the year, but Columbus State put two across in the 9th to tie things up. Caleb Jakes tossed an inning of scoreless baseball, while Brian Auerbach and AJ Chacon combined for eleven strikeouts in five innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Columbus State would open up the scoring in the top of the fourth, with Kirkwood scoring on a Tars error. Rollins would then answer with a run of their own, when Santucci would cross home on a Cougars error, tying the score up at 1-1.
- The Tars would then record two runs in the bottom of the sixth to take a 3-1 advantage. Ashline scored, followed by Santucci who was able to cross home plate when Brooker doubled to left field.
- Pharr would pull one back for the Cougars when he went deep over the right field fence, Tars still led 3-2.
- The Cougars were able to tie it up in the ninth behind a Pharr single, which plated Wager for the tying run, 3-3.
- Again, it was the Cougars scoring in the top of the 11th inning to take a slight one run lead. The Tars would answer with a Lamm RBI, scoring Santucci for the third time.
- In the top of the 13th Wager homered to right field, plating Drinnen as well to take a 6-4 advantage for the Cougars late in the game.
- Nick Breen would hit a solo shot over the left field fence to give the Tars hope in the bottom of the 13th, but they couldn't complete the comeback and fell to the Cougars, 6-5.
• Brundage has recorded at least one hit in all ten games this season and has three hits in each of the last two.
- Enck has recorded 26 strikeouts in his four starts this season, leading the Tars
- Brooker has three multi-hit games on the season, and leads the team in RBI with 11
• Rollins is now 2-1 all-time against the Cougars
• Head Coach Jon Sjogren is 327-303-3 in his 13th season at the helm of Rollins baseball
The Tars and Cougars will play their second game of their three-game set at Alfond Stadium on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 pm.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins Baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.