WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 25, 2018) – Rollins took on Columbus state in the series finale. The Cougars were able to jump out to a quick lead and never looked back, taking the contest, 12-4.
The Tars fall to 6-6 overall on the year, while the Cougars improve their record to 10-2 on the campaign.
Brendan Brundage, Nick Breen, and Ted Meissner all led Rollins offensively with two hits apiece, and each registered an RBI on the afternoon. Mark Angelo compiled his first hit of the season, and his first run scored as well.
Garrett Leonard got the nod for the start on the mound. The sophomore tossed three innings allowing five hits, and earned three strikeouts. Appearances on the mound were also made by AJ Chacon who recorded two punch outs, Whit Drennan, Brian Auerbach, Tate Stone Frisina, and Brett Scafidi.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cougars got things started offensively, with Brooks smacking a solo shot over the left field fence, and Evans singling to left field to bring home two more runs and increasing their lead to 3-0.
- The Tars would finally get on the board in the bottom of the second. Brundage singled to right field, plating Cameron Meehan and cutting the Cougars lead to 3-1.
- The Cougars were able to add three more runs in the top of the third when Grant Berry homered to center field, scoring Robert Brooks and Frank Wager, Columbus state then led 6-1.
- Throughout the next three innings the Cougars would add five runs and push their lead to 11-1 in the top of the sixth.
- Rollins answered back with two runs of their own in the bottom of the sixth. Breen would cross home plate on a wild pitch, as well as Ashline who was brought home by a Meissner single to left field, Tars still trailed 11-3.
- Garrett Kirkwood homered and tallied another run for the Cougars in the top of the seventh, increasing their advantage to 12-3.
- The Tars offense pulled one run back when Breen singled and brought home Mark Angelo for the score, but the Tars would fall 12-4.
• Rollins is now 2-3 all-time vs. Columbus State
• Head Coach Jon Sjogren is 327-305-3 in his 13th season at the helm of Rollins baseball
The Tars will gear up and begin Sunshine State Conference play next weekend, when they host Lynn University in a three-game series at Alfond Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for Friday, March 2 at 6:00 pm.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins Baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.