WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 2, 2018) – The Tars recorded their first Sunshine State Conference victory of the season with a total team effort, defeating the Lynn Fighting Knights, 7-1 at Alfond Stadium.
The Tars improve to 7-6 overall, and 1-0 in SSC play, while the Fighting Knights fall to 7-8 on the season, and 0-4 in conference matchups.
Cameron Enck got the start on the hill for the Tars, tossing seven innings while only allowing one earned run. The Lancaster, Pennsylvania native scattered four hits to keep the Fighting Knights off the bases, while recording nine strikeouts and his first win of the season. Whit Drennan came in relief and pitched one inning, tallying two punch outs. Brian Auerbach entered the game late to finish off the Fighting Knights, also tossing one inning, and compiling two strikeouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Brooker got things going offensively for the Tars in the bottom of the second inning. The senior homered to deep left field and scored Peterson in the process, giving Rollins an early 2-0 advantage.
- The Tars would add to their lead in the bottom of the fourth, when Peterson was brought home once again by Brooker on a sacrifice fly to center field. The Tars then led 3-0 over the Fighting Knights.
- Lynn would pull a run back in the top of the seventh when Patrick Dorrian went over the left field wall with a solo shot, bringing the score to 3-1 still in favor of the Tars.
- Once again it was Brooker conducting things offensively for the Tars. He would record his second home run of the night, while plating Peterson and Breen to increase the Tars lead, 6-1.
- Rollins would strike once again with Breen reaching on a fielder's choice, scoring Russell to give the Tars a 7-1 advantage and victory.
• Brendan Brundage increased his hit streak to 13 games
• This is the second game of the year in which Brooker has registered two home runs
• Rollins is now 44-37-1 all-time vs. Lynn University
• Head Coach Jon Sjogren is 328-305-3 in his 13th season at the helm of Rollins baseball
The Tars and Fighting Knights will turn around and play a doubleheader to finish out their three-game series at Alfond Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for Saturday, March 3 at 12:00 pm.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins Baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.