WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 3, 2018) – Garrett Leonard recorded the first no hitter in recent history in game two of Rollins doubleheader against Lynn. The Tars split the doubleheader, dropping the first contest 4-1, but then rallied to take down the Fighting Knights 7-0 in game two at Alfond Stadium.
Rollins improves to 8-7 overall, and 2-1 in Sunshine State play, while Lynn drops to 8-9 overall, and 1-5 in conference matchups.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn got things going, tallying the opening run in the top of the second inning. Alejandro Martinez singled to center field, allowing Jake Rouse to score and give the Fighting Knights a 1-0 lead.
- In the fourth and fifth innings, Lynn would accumulate two more runs to take a 3-0 lead over the Tars.
- Rollins finally got on the board I the bottom of the sixth. Bryce Peterson tripled to right field, plating Breen for the score, but Lynn still led 3-1.
- The Tars offense couldn't find their rhythm, while Lynn scored an insurance run in the top of the ninth to bring their advantage to 4-1.
- Rollins jumped out to an early lead in the bottom of the first. Breen started the Tars off with a single, which brought home Santucci for the opening run. Peterson then homered to left field, while also plating Nick Breen to give the Tars a 3-0 lead.
- It was Brooker who would help add to the Tars lead in the bottom of the fourth. The senior doubled deep down the left field line, scoring Peterson. Brooker and Grant Ashline would then score on throwing errors by the Fighting Knights to increase the Tars lead to 7-0.
- Leonard would have complete control entirely in game two. The sophomore didn't give up a hit in nine innings, and registered five strikeouts in route to his no hitter.
- Peterson now has five homeruns this season, as does Brooker
- The Tars are now 45-38-1 all-time against the Fighting Knights
- Head Coach Jon Sjogren is 329-306-3 in his 13th season at the helm of Rollins Baseball
Rollins will prepare to host their annual baseball week. There will be games throughout the whole week at Alfond Stadium beginning on Monday, March 5 at 11 a.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.