SAINT PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 23, 2018) – The Tars made the trip to Florida's West Coast to take on Sunshine State Conference rival Eckerd College, with the Tritons taking the first of a three-game set against the Tars, 3-1.
The Tars drop to 16-9 overall, and 4-3 in SSC competition, while the Tritons improve to 11-15, and 4-9 in conference matchups.
The Tars were limited to just one run on six hits. Bryce Peterson recorded the lone RBI for the Blue and Gold, while Brundage was the only Tar to cross home plate.
On the mound, Cameron Enck got the start. The Junior compiled six strikeouts in seven innings pitched, while allowing five hits and two runs to score. Appearances on the mound were also made by James Doherty and Whit Drennan.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both teams held each other scoreless through four and a half innings. Eckerd would score the game's opening run in the bottom of the fourth inning, when Garrett Hiott singled to right field, plating Mitch Calandra for the lone score.
- This time it was Hiott crossing home plate to double the Tritons advantage, 2-0 after LeMaster hit a sacrifice fly to deep to left field.
- The Tars would finally get on the board in the top of the eighth inning when Brendan Brundage would cut the Tritons lead in half, scoring a run off of a deep Bryce Peterson sacrifice fly. Tars still trailed, 2-1.
- Eckerd would tally yet another run in the bottom of the eighth, increasing the Tritons advantage to 3-1.
- Rollins couldn't generate the runs they needed in the top of the ninth, and fell to the Tritons, 3-1.
• Rollins still leads the all-time series vs Eckerd, 88-67-1
• Head Coach Jon Sjogren is 336-308-3 in his 13th season at the helm of Rollins baseball
The Tars will stay put in Saint Petersburg for a doubleheader matchup tomorrow against the Tritons. First pitch is set for 12pm tomorrow.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins Baseball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.