Rollins (9-15, 3-13 SSC) at Barry (13-9, 8-7 SSC)
Saturday, February 16, 2019 | 4 p.m.
Miami Shores, Fla. | Cesar Odio Court in the Health & Sports Center
Set-up: Currently on the outside looking in on a bid into the Sunshine State Conference Tournament, Rollins travels to Barry Saturday seeking to halt a seven game skid. The Tars need to put a winning streak together and get some help in trying to secure a spot in the postseason. Rollins is looking for a first road win of the calendar year and second victory since the holiday break. The Tars defense will need to improve in looking to knock off Barry, allowing better than 90 points a game in the month of February. The Bucs were idle on Wednesday and come into the game having won two of its last three. They are 7-3 in Miami Shores this season, a place where Rollins hasn't won since 2014.
Tracking the Tars: The Tars offense was humming Wednesday against Tampa, but UT's outside shooting proved to be the difference as Rollins fell 95-88. Eric Castaneda led the way with 24 points, hitting six three-pointers. Connor Mckim added 18 points and Jakobi Bonner 14. Bonner averages 14.7 a game to lead Rollins. The junior shoots 53 percent from the field and 42 percent from beyond the arc. Mckim goes for 13.4 a night and Hutton Yenor scores 12.8 a game. Castaneda leads on the glass, hauling in 4.6 rebounds a game. Rollins averages 75.8 points a game and is allowing 77.5 a night.
Tracking the Buccaneers: Barry sits fifth in the league standings and is fighting for a first round home game. The Bucs are coming off a 78-66 loss at Eckerd a week ago. Daniel Mortensen scored 15 points and Isaiah Hobbs netted 11 to lead the way. Mortensen is putting up 13.7 points a game and hauling in 5.9 rebounds a night to top the season box score. Tylan Birts averages 11.9 points a game while Evan Walshe scores 9.9. Barry scores 77.4 points a game and is allowing 73.4.
- Rollins leads the all-time series with Barry 48-26; Barry has won seven of the last 10.
- The Tars and Bucs are tied 15-15 all-time in Miami Shores.
- Barry won 71-60 in Winter Park earlier this season.
- Rollins is 21st in nationally in total steals (215).
- The Tars are 29th in Division II in turnovers forced a game (16.7).
- Barry is 19th in the nation in three-point field goal defense.
- Tylan Birts is ninth in the nation in shooting, hitting 62 percent from the floor.
- Rollins was picked seventh in the SSC preseason poll; Barry was picked second.
- Rollins head coach Tom Klusman is 702-422 in his 39th year leading the program. He has the fourth most wins among active NCAA Division II coaches.
Next up: Rollins is idle on Wednesday and will next host Eckerd on Saturday, February 23 for senior day and the final home game of the season. Tip is set for 2 p.m. in Warden Arena. Fans can listen to the action live on the Tars Sports Network at RollinsSports.com.