Rollins (10-17, 4-15 SSC) at Florida Southern (20-7, 13-6)
Saturday, March 2, 2019 | 7:30 p.m.
Lakeland, Fla. | Jenkins Field House
Set-up: Rollins will close out its 2018-19 season Saturday night, visiting arch rival Florida Southern in Lakeland. The Tars are 10th in the Sunshine State Conference standings and will be shut out of a spot in the postseason tourney. Rollins was winless in February, but snapped an eight-game skid on Wednesday at Florida Tech before the calendar flipped to March. The Tars only win in 2019 prior to Tech came against Florida Southern in mid-January. Rollins upset the then nationally ranks Mocs 83-69 in Winter Park. Southern is currenlty ranked second in the latest NCAA Division II South Region rankings and can move into the SSC Tourney's second seed with a win over Rollins and Lynn loss. FSC has lost three of its last four coming into the season finale.
Tracking the Tars: Rollins will look to close the season on a high note, grabbing a second straight win to end the year. The Tars took care of Florida Tech on the road Wednesday, 84-72. Connor Mckim posted 27 points, six rebounds and five assists. Trevor Recio added 16 points and 13 rebounds. Jakobi Bonner is the Tars leading scorer with 14.7 points a game. The junior shoots 53 percent from the field and is getting four rebounds a game. Hutton Yenor and Mckim both score 13.3 with Mckim handing out a team-best 3.33 assists a game. Eric Castaneda is scoring 9.1 a night while Trevor Recio is the top rebounder with 5.4 a game. The Tars are 10th in the SSC in scoring at 75 pints a game and rank seventh in defense, allowing 77 a night.
Tracking the Moccasins: Florida Southern was the preseason favorite to win the conference and will finish behind champion Nova Southeastern as either the two or three seed in the SSC Tournament. FSC has lost two in a row, most recently an 85-78 setback at Saint Leo on Wednesday. Jonathan Lawton scored 30 and Brett Hanson netted 29 to lead FSC; the rest of the squad scored 19 combined. Lawton is second in the SSC in scoring, putting up 22.9 a game. Hanson scores 17.4 a game and Slinky Jones nets 10.9 a night. Hanson is also the top rebounder at 7.5 a game. FSC is second in the conference in offense at 83 points a game and allows 79.4.
- FSC leads the all-time series in the modern era (1950) 94-45.
- FSC is 37-25 against Rollins in Lakeland.
- Rollins won the match-up earlier this season 83-69 in Winter Park.
- Rollins is 31st nationally in steals per game at 8.6.
- Rollins is 30th in Division II with 16.4 turnovers forced a game.
- FSC is 18th nationally in turnover margin (+4.0).
- Jonathan Lawton (FSC) is 13th in Division II scoring average (22.9 ppg).
- Jonathan Lawton (FSC) is 17th in three pointers per game and 18th in free throw percentage (90 percent).
- Rollins head coach Tom Klusman is 703-424 in his 39th year leading the program. He has the fourth most wins among active NCAA Division II coaches.