Tars Put Up a Fight Against Nationally-Ranked Crusaders
BELMONT, N.C. (February 3, 2018) – Opening up their 2018 season on the road against No. 9/10 Belmont Abbey, the Rollins men's lacrosse team made a statement as they fought with the Crusaders through four quarters and almost two full overtime periods. Rollins trailed 5-2 at the half, but battled back to tie the score at 7-7 in the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime. After a hard-fought battle, the Tars found themselves edged out by Belmont Abbey with 1:05 remaining in the second overtime period by a final score of 8-7 on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Field.
The loss opens up the Tars 2018 campaign with a record of 0-1, while Belmont Abbey opens their season with a record of 1-0.
Rollins saw a team high two goals from both Jeremy Slocumb and Jackson Colling, while Tommy Keane matched them in points with one goal and an assist. Greg Taicher and Grant Long added one goal apiece, while Eric NeCamp contributed one assist. In goal, senior Andrew Hoemann earned 12 saves while allowing eight goals as he saw 34 shots and 20 shots on target. Kyle Sudol and Taicher picked up a team best four ground balls apiece, while Lucas Brush earned a game high four caused turnovers.
Belmont Abbey was led by Callum Tanner, who posted a game high five goals, while Kyle Mcginley and Sean Hanrahan contributed one apiece. Adam Wiedemann dished out a game high four assists, while Brendan Mcgovern and Liam Osborne earned one each. Wiedemann picked up a game best seven ground balls, while Anthony Cesario posted a team best two turnovers. In goal, Harley Whitham played a full game, allowing seven goals while making nine saves as he faced 31 shots and 16 shots on frame.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- First Quarter: The first quarter was a stalemate until Slocumb final put a goal on the board with 18 seconds to go in the period, giving Rollins a 1-0 lead entering into the second stanza.
- Second Quarter: Belmont Abbey scored five straight, including three consecutive goals by Tanner, to pull ahead to a 5-1 lead before Colling found the back of the net with 3:03 to go before the half to pull the Tars to within three at the break, 5-2.
- Third Quarter: Rollins opened the third quarter with two straight to pull to within one,5-4, but Belmont Abbey broke the run to extend their lead to two, 6-4, with 6:56 to go in the quarter. Both teams traded blows, closing out the third period with Belmont Abbey holding onto a 7-5 lead.
- Fourth Quarter: Rollins held the Crusaders scoreless in the fourth quarter as they fought back. Long brought the Tars to within one with 11:28 to go in regulation, while Keane scored the game-tying goal with 9:56 left in the game. The remainder of the quarter saw both teams remain scoreless, sending the contest into overtime.
- First Overtime: The first overtime period saw both teams unable to find the back of the net. Rollins outshot the Crusaders 2-1, with Hoemann earning one save on Belmont Abbey's shot to keep them off the board.
- Second Overtime: Rollins gained possession off the first faceoff, and a shot by Taicher was saved by Whitham. The Crusaders were then able to capitalize on a Rollins turnover with 1:44 remaining, and with 1:05 left in the second overtime period, Tanner placed a shot in the cage off of an assist by McGovern.
- The Tars held No. 9/10 Belmont Abbey scoreless through two quarter.
- Jeremy Slocumb notched a new career high for goals in a game with two.
- Jackson Colling made his mark in his first game with the Tars, scoring two goals.
- Lucas Brush matched a career high in caused turnovers in a game.
- Andrew Hoemann kicked off his senior season on a high note, earning a new career best in saves in a game with 12
- The Tars are now 1-6 all-time against the Crusaders. When playing Belmont Abbey on the road, Rollins is 0-4.
Rollins takes to the road to Wheeling, W.V. to take on the Wheeling Jesuit Cardinals on Sunday, February 18. The Tars and Cardinals are slated to face off at noon at Bishop Schmitt Field. Links to live coverage of the game will be available on RollinsSports.com once available.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins men's lacrosse team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.