Freshman Faceoff Specialist Earns Team of the Week Honors For First Time of His Career
WINTER PARK, Fla. (March 20, 2018) – After helping the Tars go undefeated on the week, including a big 12-9 upset over the fourth-ranked Colorado Mesa, freshman faceoff specialist Kyle Sudol has been named to the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association's (USILA) Division II Team of the Week, organization officials announced Tuesday.
On the week, Sudol picked up 19 ground balls and won 30-of-43 faceoff attempts for a win percentage of .698 on the week, and added one assist to help the Tars win two straight. Against the then-No. 4 Mavericks, Sudol notched his assist while winning 16-of-22 faceoff attempts and collecting six ground balls. The Lafayette, Colo. native then went on to win 14-of-21 faceoff attempts, picking up a game high 13 ground balls, good for fourth best in program records for ground balls in a game.
Sudol is joined by nine additional players from across the country on this week's Team of the Week.
USILA D2 Team of the Week for March 20, 2018
- Blake Boudreau, Merrimack: Senior specialist Blake Boudreau had one of his best outings as a Warrior, winning 14-of-17 faceoffs (.824) with 10 ground balls and also scored a goal in the process. That performance helped #1 Merrimack take down Saint Rose, 12-5, to improve to 4-0.
- Liam Brennan, Pace: Brennan racked up 11 points and five ground balls in a 1-1 week for No. 7 Pace. He began the stretch with a two-goal, two-assist effort at No. 12 NYIT before going off for six tallies and an assist in a 17-9 triumph over Southern New Hampshire University.
- Xander Cosenza, Lynn: The freshman scored a career-high five goals, including all four of Lynn's goals in the 4th quarter, as Lynn came back and upset No. 10 Belmont Abbey on the road, 10-9. It marked the program's second-ever win over a top-10 opponent.
- Sean Dever, Young Harris: Set a program record against UIndy with 21 saves while also collecting three ground balls and saw 46 shot attempts on the entire day. That win extended a program-best eight-game winning streak and Dever has been a huge part during that streak in allowing seven goals or fewer against those opponents while also upsetting two top-20 teams.
- Jeffrey Galatola, Georgian Court: Finished with eight points on six goals and two assists while adding four ground balls in two games last week. He was named CACC Player of the Week in the process
- LeRoy Halftown, NYIT: Scored two goals, including game-winner, in final 1:25 as NYIT defeated No. 3 Pace, 11-9, on March 14; then exploded for six goals to lead NYIT to ECC-opening win vs. Roberts Wesleyan. Finished the week with 11 points overall
- Kyle Pauwels, Saint Leo: Pauwels showcased a seven-goal, two-assist, nine-point week and also added two ground balls in a win over Lindenwood. Pauwels racked up a .643 shooting percentage netting nine goals from 13 shots.
- Edmond Renaud, Lake Erie: Exploded for 14 goals in a two-game span while adding four assists, finishing with 18 points in total on the week. Also finished with two ground balls to help Lake Erie go 2-0.
- Kyle Sudol, Rollins: Helped the Tars go undefeated on the week, including a big 12-9 upset over No. 4 Colorado Mesa. On the week, Sudol picked up 19 ground balls and won 30-of-43 faceoff attempts (.698), including a 16-of-22 performance against the fourth-ranked Mavericks.
- Will Urban, Mount Olive: Played three games in four days, including two in net, highlighting a versatile performance. Finished with 10 ground balls against Indianapolis as part of a two-point game and then posted back-to-back double-digit-save performances, posting a .709 save percentage in that span.
Rollins returns to action on Saturday, March 24, when they host No. 18/14 Lynn University in their Sunshine State Conference opener. Game time against the Fighting Knights is slated for 4 p.m. Fans who are unable to attend the game in person will be able to follow all of the action live on the Tars Sports Network on RollinsSports.com.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins men's lacrosse team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.