Rollins (11-4-1, 6-4-0 SSC) – 2
No. 2 Palm Beach Atlantic (14-1-2, 9-0-1 SSC) – 0
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (November 3, 2017) – The Tars handed No. 2 Palm Beach Atlantic their first loss of the year on a rain soaked evening in South Florida. With the win Rollins advances to the Sunshine State Conference Tournament Finals. The Tars improve to 11-4-1 on the year, while the Sailfish fall to 14-1-2 in 2017.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
First Half: Both team generated chances in the opening 45, but neither could find a breakthrough in a rainy first half. The Sailfish outshot Rollins, managing four attempts to the Tars' one. Drew Trautmann was key to keeping the match scoreless, making three saves in the first half. Dominic Adomakoh took Rollins' single shot, and forced Sailfish keeper Elliott Barker into his only save of the period.
Second Half: It took Rollins 10 minutes of second half action to find the back of the net. Johnny Nartowicz got on the end of a Stefan Avram cross. The Tars' defesne then had to absorb an onslaught from the No. 2 ranked team in the nation. The Rollins defense did not break, and with just less than 15 minutes remaining Rollins doubled their advantage on a counter attack. Alex Chopra played an elegant give and go to get free down the sideline, before sending a low cross into the box. Ben Grant got to the ball first and redirected it into the net.
"It was a massive result for the players and the program. We knew we had to play at our highest level and we did that. We need to continue that effort on Sunday."
-Keith Buckley, Head Coach
"Fantastic win for the boys! We had a game plan and the player executed it to perfection. We were able to frustrate them and force them into mistakes. To beat one of the best teams in the country is special for these guys. We will enjoy it tonight and get back to work tomorrow."
-Tim Bohnenkamp, Assistant Coach
- The Tars are now 16-5-0 all time against the Sailfish.
- This marks the first time this season that the Sailfish have been scored on multiple times in a game.
- Stefan Avram's assist on the Tars first goal was his first of the year, and gives him a total of 19 points.
- Ben Grant's goal in the 76th minute was his SSC leading 10th of the year, and ties him for the conference lead with 21 points.
- Rollinswill advance to the final where they will take on Tampa, the Spartans bested the Tars 2-0 on October 4.
- This marks the second time in three years that Rollins has advanced to the SSC Tournament Final. Rollins won the 2015 title by defeating Saint Leo 2-0.
- Head Coach Keith Buckley moves to 317-152-30, as he is in his 27th season at the helm of the Rollins soccer program.
The Tars advance to the SSC Tournament Finals where they will take on second-seeded Tampa on Sunday at 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins men's soccer team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.