ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (February 11, 2018) – Rollins dropped their third consecutive game to start the final day of the South/Southeast Regional Crossover, but recovered to hand Flagler their first loss of the season in game two. The Tars move to 3-6 on the year, while Flagler ends the Regional with a record of 6-1.
The Saints tallied eight runs in the fist inning of game when, putting the game out of the Tars' reach early. Rollins pitching recovered in game two, holding previously unbeaten Flagler to just two runs on seven scattered hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Tars got on the board first using savvy base running from Jordan Davis. The junior singled, stole second and eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- The Saint would respond quickly, and in a big way. Flagler sent 13 batters to the plate, scoring eight runs on seven hits, putting the Tars in a hole.
- Flager would tack on another run in the third making it 9-1.
- Brianna Ernst earned a bases loaded walk in the fourth, but the Tars could not cut into the lead any more than that.
- A lone run by the Saints, on a Morgan Murphy RBI single, in the bottom of the fifth, ended the contest early.
- The Tars were again able to get on the board in the first frame. Chandler Middlebrook scored Jordan Davis with an RBI single, before Abigail Sexton sent Brianne Lint across the plate with a sacrifice fly.
- The Saints would send a runner home in both the second and third frames to tie the contest at 2-2.
- Jordan Davis gave the Tars the lead for good in the fourth, scoring Sexton with an RBI single to right field.
- Abby Summers went five strong innings, recording four strikeouts, before handing the ball off to Grace Street for the final six outs.
- Rollins would get insurance in the fifth and sixth frames. Brianne Lint bombed her first homerun of the season to straightaway center field, while Sexton scored her second run on a Kacie Booth bunt single, in the fifth. In the sixth Chandler Middlebrook iced the game away, as she again sent Davis across the plate, this time with a double to right center.
- Jordan Davis (CF) – 1-2, Run, 2 SB
- Maria Kappos (SS) – 3-4, 2 RBI, Run
- Grace Street – 3.2 IP, 2 Runs, 2 SO
- Ally Marcano – CG, 1 Hit, 0 ER, 4 SO
- Jordan Davis (CF) – 3-4, 3B, 2 Runs, 1 RBI, SB
- Megan Miller (LF) – 3-3, Run
- Abby Summers – W, 5.0 IP, 2 Runs, 4 SO
- Kaitlyn McCue – L, CG, 6 Runs, 1 SO
- Brianna Ernst's game one RBI was her first run driven in as a Tar.
- Jordan Davis's performance in game two saw her set a new career high in hits in a game with three, tied a high with to runs, and she tallied her first triple with the Tars.
- Through nine games the Tars are batting .259 as a team, while slugging .364.
- Michelle Frew is now 774-331-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins now must prepare for Sunshine State Conference action, as they will host preseason favorite, and No. 23, Saint Leo in their home opener. Game one of the three game set is scheduled for Friday, February 16, at 7:00 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.