WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 16, 2018) – Rollins fell in their first home game of the 2018 season against Sunshine State Conference favorite Saint Leo. Rollins falls to 3-7 on the year, while the Lions improve to 9-1 on the campaign.
The Tars had an early lead but could not hold on down the stretch. The Lions were able to slowly chip into the Tars advantage, and ultimately took the lead for good in the sixth inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Rollins got on the board with a pair of runs in the fourth. Jordan David got the inning started with a single. Abigail Sexton ultimately tallied two RBI, knocking a two out single into left field, and plating Davis and Chandler Middlebrook.
- The Lions got one run in the top of the fourth, but the Tars responded with a tally in the bottom of the frame. Talia Kentoffio singled home Grace Street to make the score 3-1.
- The Lions tied the game in the fifth with a pair of scores, the first coming on a Brittany Creamer homerun.
- Saint Leo took the lead in the sixth, manufacturing another two runs. Street tried to spark a rally with her first homerun of the year in the bottom of the sixth making the score 5-4.
- Abby Summer struck out the side in the seventh, and the Tars got the leadoff run on in their last at bat, but that Rollins could not get the final needed break through.
- Grace Street (3B) – 2-3, HR, Run, RBI
- Brittany Creamer (SS) – 1-3, HR, Run, RBI
- Abby Summers – L, CG, 5 Runs, 3 ER, 6 SO
- Alison Mitts – W, 5.2 IP, 4 Runs, 8 SO
- The home team has won this series in each of the last six season, the Tars will have to take both games tomorrow to continue the streak.
- Jordan Davis tallied another stolen base, in the first inning, giving her a SSC leading eight on the year.
- Michelle Frew is now 774-331-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars will conclude their three game set against the Lions with a doubleheader tomorrow. Game one one is scheduled to begin a 1 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.