WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 17, 2018) – The Tars rebounded from a game one loss to sweep doubleheader action, and upset the No. 23 Saint Leo Lions, two games to one in their Sunshine State Conference opening series. With the wins Rollins improves to 5-7 in the young season, while the Lions fall to 9-3 on the year.
Both games were back and forth affairs, with Rollins pulling away late in game one. Game two needed extra innings to be decided. There, junior transfer Brianna Ernst played the hero, with a RBI single in the bottom of the eighth, as the Tars walked off with the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Saint Leo jumped out to a 2-0 lead in game one, manufacturing a run in the second, and getting a homerun in the fourth.
- The Tars got on the board with Brianne Lint's second homerun of the campaign in the bottom of the fourth.
- The Lions pulled their lead back to two in their part of the fifth, but Rollins got the score back in the bottom of the inning when Abigial Sexton crossed the plate.
- Rollins blew the game open in the sixth, putting up five runs. The frame was highlighted by Talia Kentoffio's first career homerun, a three run blast that put the game out of reach for the Lions.
- Saint Leo tried to rally in their final at bat, but Abby Summer slammed the door and earned her first save as a Tar.
- Rollins jumped out to lead in the first, Brianne Lint doubled home Jordan Davis, and Grace Street drove in Lint.
- Abigail Sexton plated two more runs with a two RBI single, sending Lint and Davis across the plate.
- Saint Leo came storming back, and scored one in the fourth and three in the fifth to tie the contest at 4-4.
- Street homered to give Rollins the lead back, but the Lions tied the game in the sixth.
- No one could tally in the seventh and the game went into extra innings.
- Talia Kentoffio got the Tars' eighth inning started with a one out single. After a sacrifice bunt moved her over to second, Brianna Ernst got her moment. The infielder sent a ball over the second basemen's head, and Kentoffio came around to score the winning run.
- Abigail Sexton (2B) – 2-3, 2 Runs, RBI
- Sarah Pauscher (RF) – 2-4, HR
- Grace Street – W, 6.0 IP, 5 SO
- Auria Mounts – L, CG, 7 Runs, 6 ER, 7 SO
- Grace Street (DP) – 2-4, HR, 2 RBI
- Ashley Morris (3B) – 2-4, 1 Run
- Abby Summers – W, 7.0 IP, 3 Runs, 1 SO
- Auria Mounts – L, 2.2 IP, 1 Run, 2 SO
- Talia Kentoffio's game one homerun was her first in the Blue and Gold.
- The Tars are now 1-2 in extra inning games this season.
- The home team has won this series seven straight season, each time winning two games to one.
- Michelle Frew is now 773-327-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
The Tars will have to turn around quickly, with 2017 Super Regional competitor Adelphi visiting Winter Park for doubleheader action on Tuesday. First pitch of game one is set for 5 p.m. on February 20.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.