WINTER PARK, Fla. (February 20, 2018) – The Tars used a pair of solid pitching performances to sweep a midweek doubleheader against Adelphi. Rollins improves to .500 on the year, at 7-7, and remain 2-1 in the Sunshine State Conference. The Panthers, who made the East Super Regional last season, fall to 0-4 to start their 2018.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Panthers threatened in the first, loading the bases, but Grace Street got two outs, including a strikeout to close the frame.
- The Tars did most of their damage in the third frame, plating six runs, on only one hit. Chandler Middlebrook doubled to lead off the inning, then the Panthers pitchers lost control. Rollins scored on two bases loaded walks, a hit by pitch, a fielder's choice, an error, and a wild pitch.
- Street was perfect in the third forth and fifth frames, retiring nines consectutive Panthers.
- Jenny Goldsher scored Brianna Ernst with a RBI groundout in the fifth, before the Tars clinched the game with their eight run, appropriately, on a bases loaded walk by Brianne Lint, which scored Talia Ketoffio.
- The Tars loaded the bases in the first inning, but could not capitalize. Abby Summers then fought her way out a bases loaded jam in the second to stifle a Panther threat.
- Rollins opened the scoring with three runs in the third. Again a Middlebrook double set the stage for an eventual bases loaded walk. Talia Kentoffio then sent two runners across the plate with a two out single.
- Adelphi battled back with a run in the top of the fourth. However, an Abigail Sexton double scored Brianne Lint and Kara Wagstaff, expanding the Tars' lead to 5-1.
- Again the Panthers would try to come back, scoring in the fifth, but again the Tars would rebuff Adelphi, scoring three in the fifth. Lint drove in Kentoffio with a single up the middle, then sexton tallied her third and fourth RBI with a single through the left side.
- After Summers retired the Panthers in order in the top of the sixth, Chandler Middlebrook ended the game in the bottom of the sixth, driving a two RBI double to left center, giving the Tars the eight run advantage.
- Abigail Sexton (2B) – 1-2, 1 Run, 1 RBI, 1 BB
- Krista King (CF) – 2-3
- Grace Street – W, CG, 0 Runs, 4 SO
- Kristen Fealy – L, 2.0 IP, 5 Runs, 4 ER, 6 BB
- Abigail Sexton (2B) – 2-3, 4 RBI, 2B
- Emily Turney (1B) – 2-3, RBI, 2B
- Abby Summers – W, CG, 2 Runs, 1 ER, 4 SO
- Ally Muller – L, 3/.1 IP, 5 Runs, 2 ER, 6 BB
- Panther pitchers walked 16 Tars over the two games.
- Jenny Goldsher had a big day; the freshman, tallied her first hit, first RBI, and first run in the Blue and Gold.
- Chandler Middlebrook and Abigail Sexton are sitting one-two in the SSC in RBI. Sexton has driven in 16, while Middlebrook has plated 13.
- Michelle Frew is now 778-332-1 in her 22nd season at the helm of the Rollins softball program.
Rollins will return to Sunshine State Conference action, as they travel to Tampa to take on the Spartans. Game one is set for Friday, February 23, at 6 p.m.
For the latest news, updates, and information on the Rollins softball team, fans can visit RollinsSports.com. Fans can also stay up-to-date on the latest #TARnation news by following Rollins Sports on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.